Medical Laboratory Science Certificate
The Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) certificate program at Radford University Carilion prepares students for a variety of career opportunities in medical, research, veterinary, and reference laboratories. Students enjoy a mix of classroom, laboratory, clinical, and field experiences.
Each year, billions of laboratory tests are ordered in the United States and medical laboratory scientists perform and interpret tests, make recommendations for appropriate treatment and deliver quality data to ensure the best patient care. Medical laboratory scientists are responsible for operation and maintenance of state-of-the-art equipment; assuring quality and delivery of accurate test results and fulfilling a critical role in high-quality patient care.
This one-year program is designed for applicants who have previously completed a baccalaureate degree in a related science and want to further their education or change careers, but do not have enough transfer credits to complete a second baccalaureate degree in Medical Laboratory Science. Applicants interested in this career field should contact the Radford University Carilion Admissions Office or the Medical Laboratory Science Program Director for more information.
Students in the MLS certificate program experience a blend of traditional lecture courses, laboratory classes and clinical rotations to prepare them for employment in the medical laboratory field. While engaged in clinical rotations, students will be supervised by certified laboratory professionals and will achieve entry-level competency across each facet of the clinical laboratory. Successful graduates will:
- Master the foundational principles of clinical laboratory science and testing, including the pathological indications for performing specific laboratory tests
- Understand system planning, including quality control and method validation
- Assess a wide range of patient laboratory values and determine when values are abnormal or potentially erroneous
- Interpret and understand new protocols, technologies, and advances in the field of medical laboratory science specifically and medical science generally
Why choose this certificate program?
- The program has agreements with several accredited laboratories where you will complete your clinical rotations: Quest Diagnostics (located in Carilion Clinic facilities), HCA LewisGale, Sovah Health Martinsville, Sovah Health Danville, Centra Health, and Sentara Healthcare. You will have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, national leaders in all areas of healthcare practice and administration. You’ll do real patient work with 700 clinical hours in small groups with certified preceptors.
- Flexibility and stability in the workforce- MLS certificate graduates are competent in all the disciplines within medical laboratory science, giving them greater flexibility in the workforce. In addition, MLS graduates are required to achieve competency in phlebotomy, a valuable skill that is not incorporated in all MLS curricula.
- Placement rates:
- 2020: 100%
- 2021: 100%
- 2022: 100%
- Since 2010, our placement rate has remained at 100%
- Graduation rates:
- 2020: 100%
- 2021: 93%
- 2022: 100%
External certification exam pass rates:
- 2020: 77%
- 2021: 84%
- 2022: 76%
After completion of the MLS certificate program, you will have the opportunity to begin your career in a wide range of healthcare settings, including:
- Hospitals (inpatient and outpatient)
- Physician offices
- Research laboratories
- Employment services
- Laboratory information systems
- Sales and marketing
- Government agencies
- Outpatient care centers
- Test development facilities
- Educational institutions
- Equipment testing, maintenance, and development
- Public health
MLS certificate program graduates have a 100% job placement rate, and there are growing opportunities for medical laboratory science graduates nationally. It is estimated that the medical laboratory science field will need more than 50,000 new laboratorians by 2024. MLS faculty mentor students to help them identify the employment setting best suited for them and actively assist students with job searches and interview preparation.
This one-year program is designed for applicants who have previously completed a baccalaureate degree in a related science and want to further their education or change careers. Pre-requisite coursework must include Microbiology with lab, Immunology, and Organic Chemistry I with laboratory.
The Medical Laboratory Science program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018-5119.