On and Off-Campus Housing
Roanoke On and Off Campus Housing is here to serve both the RUC and RHEC communities with on-campus housing located at The Patrick Henry in downtown Roanoke, as well as offering information about off-campus housing availability in the area. On-campus housing has limited availability and can fill up quickly, so students who are interested are encouraged to apply as soon as they can.
For more information regarding either on-campus or off-campus housing, please contact the Coordinator for Student Engagement and Residence Life at 540-831-1676 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friendships forged in the Patrick Henry can last a lifetime, and our team of resident advisors works diligently to build a community of respect, trust, and growth. To become part of that community or learn more about on-campus housing in the Roanoke area, explore the information below, or feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
- If you are locked out, please call the Duty Phone at 540-430-7385.
- If this is an emergency request, please call the emergency maintenance line at 800-934-8994.
- If this is a health emergency, please call Carilion Police Department immediately at 540-981-7911.
Why Live With Us
There are many reasons why living with us in the residence hall is a great choice.
- Live in Luxury While You Learn
Our residence halls are located on the third through fifth floors of The Patrick Henry, just a short walk from Radford University Carilion. The newly renovated building features luxury apartments with hardwood floors, granite countertops, a full kitchen with stainless steel appliances and a dishwasher, garbage disposal and an in-unit washer and dryer. The Patrick Henry features three different types of apartments: studio apartments that hold two students; one-bedroom apartments which also hold two students; and two-bedroom apartments hold four students.
- Everything You Need On-Site
As a resident in the The Patrick Henry, you’ll have access to a fitness center featuring cardio equipment and free weights, on-site mail delivery directly from USPS/FedEx/UPS, and private food vendors on the ground level.
- Location, Location, Location
No need to worry about the hassle of a commute through heavy traffic and wintry weather if you live at The Patrick Henry. You will literally be a few blocks from both RUC and RHEC. In addition, you’re just around the corner from dozens of shops, restaurants and other attractions in beautiful downtown Roanoke. So much to do—and you’ll be right in the heart of everything!
- Safe and Secure
Residents of The Patrick Henry access their apartments through the use of proximate cards, ensuring only those who live there can get in the building. In addition, campus security is available around the clock to escort anyone from our campus to the residence halls upon request and resident advisors are on call 24 hours a day.
- Make Lifelong Connections
On-Campus Housing at The Patrick Henry is open to any RUC or RHEC student, regardless of whether they are pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree. This means that there is a wide range of people you’ll get to know, from traditionally aged college students to those who are coming back to school after being in the workforce.
- Be Independent
Living on your own and making key decisions for yourself is an important step in the maturing process. Learning to balance freedom and responsibility in a protected environment like a residence hall makes the post-college transition easier.
- Extra Support
College is a transitional time and, while it will be incredibly enriching, there will be times when you’ll feel challenged. At The Patrick Henry, you will live with people who are going through the same experiences as you. Plus, the On Campus Housing staff—who live in the residence hall with you—are always available for assistance, advice or just to talk.
- Academic Success
Research of college and university students across the country shows that students who live on campus are more satisfied with their collegiate experience, earn better grades and are more likely to graduate than their commuting peers.
- The Total College Experience
This is a unique time in your life, where you’ll experience new cultures, new friendships and live in a supportive community rich with new and diverse ways of viewing the world. On Campus living—it’s an experience unlike any other!
About the Patrick Henry
The on-campus housing is located within the newly renovated Patrick Henry, which used to serve as a landmark hotel in downtown Roanoke. After the hotel closed, the building underwent extensive renovations and in 2011 was reopened as luxury apartments.
Students from Radford University Carilion reside on the third through fifth floors. There are three types of apartments: Studio and one bedroom apartments house two students; two-bedroom apartments house four students. Each resident student receives one twin sized bed, one dresser, one desk, and one desk chair. Students are responsible for bringing their own kitchenware (plates, silverware, pots, pans, etc.).
Apartments in the Patrick Henry also feature hardwood floors, granite countertops, washer/dryer, and a full kitchen with stainless steel appliances (including both dishwasher and garbage disposal). Additionally, residents of the building have secure access to our dormitory floors through their RUC prox cards, on-site mail delivery from USPS/FedEx/UPS, and a fitness center featuring cardio equipment and free weights. Additionally, private food vendors are available on the ground level.
Schedule a tour:
There are two ways to schedule a tour of The Patrick Henry.
- When you schedule your campus tour, let your admissions counselor know that you are considering living on campus and that you would like to see The Patrick Henry. They’ll arrange a walking tour. The Admissions office can be reached at 540-831-1000. Please note that it may not be possible to view the residence hall if the tour is not arranged in advance.
- Contact RUC Student Affairs at 540-831-1691 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a tour. Please include the days you are interested and how many people will be coming.
Tours will also be offered during Admissions events and Quest (new student orientation).
Apply for Housing
Gather or confirm the information you need to complete your application, including:
- Emergency contact information.
- Medical conditions and prescribed medications.
- Personal cell phone number.
- Roommate request information – if you have a preferred roommate for next year you will need to know their Radford ID number to complete the application.
Log in to OneCampus.
Select the housing icon.
Select the Housing Applications link to complete your application.
- If you have any questions regarding the housing application process please contact the RUC Student Affairs (email@example.com, 540-831-1691).
- Make sure to answer all of the questions and supply accurate information on the application. We make room assignments based on your profile information, be sure to answer profile questions honestly.
- When your application and contract are complete, click the final submit button.
- After completing the application return to your homepage to confirm your application has been completed and submitted.
- If you want to edit any of the application information you can use these directions to access your account and make necessary updates or changes.
Living on campus is cost-effective. The median gross rent for an off-campus apartment in Roanoke is $845* per month and doesn’t include the cost of utilities, cable or high-speed internet.
The cost to live in The Patrick Henry for the Fall 2022-Spring 2023 academic year is based on the occupancy allotted for the apartment.
- 2 bed standard (including laundry) $3,750.50
- 2 bed studio (including laundry) $3,561.50
- 4 bed standard (including laundry) $3,372.00
The fee covers rent, water, sewer, trash, electricity, cable, high-speed internet and access to an on-site gym.
* Provided by the U.S. Census Bureau
Radford University Carilion does not actively endorse any off-campus housing in the area, information about availability near our campus can be found below