Congratulations soon-to-be-graduates! As you count down the days to commencement, please take a few moments to make sure that you have taken care of the details so that you can relax and enjoy commencement weekend when it arrives.
Your first step toward graduation is to double check that you have met requirements for graduation and are eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony. If you have questions, undergraduate students please contact your Advising Center and graduate students contact the College of Graduate Studies and Research at 540-831-5431.
- Purchase commencement regalia (caps and gowns) at the University Bookstore in Dalton Hall. If you have questions, call 540-831-5144. If you are a graduate student, the bookstore will assist you in selecting the correct hood color.
- Students who are not on campus may purchase regalia over the phone by calling 540-831-5144. Sales will start March 28, 2019. Standard shipping is $7.50 for all customers not present at time of purchase.
- Students receiving a Bachelors degree must wear a cap and bachelors gown. $51.98 +tax
- Students receiving a Masters degree must wear a cap, masters gown, and hood. $94.96 +tax
- Doctoral students must wear a tam, doctoral gown, and hood. $171.98 +tax
- Optional stoles available for purchase include: Veterans, First Scholar, and Kente. Call the bookstore at 540-831-5144 for pricing on these stoles.
- Student organizations that want to purchase cords should contact the University Bookstore
- Students wishing to purchase announcements or a class ring may visit Balfour's website.
- A professional photographer will photograph each graduate as you cross the stage at the main commencement ceremony and the hooding ceremony. Proofs and order forms will be mailed to each graduate after the event. Please be sure to check your permanent address by clicking on the Personal Info icon in the MyRU portal.
- Commencement is a special celebration for graduates and guests. To keep it enjoyable and meaningful for all, we ask that all graduates and members of the audience remain seated throughout the entire ceremony. Photography and other recording may be done only from the seating areas. We also ask that guests not approach the front of the auditorium for photographs as this area must be kept clear to ensure a smooth procession of individual graduates.