College of Visual & Performing Arts
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
All students pursuing a major in the Department of Design are required to complete a two-credit hour internship during the summer between their third and fourth years in the program.
Advance preparation for the internship experience begins in the third year when students enroll in the Pre-Internship Seminar Class, DSN 340.
This credit course provides an opportunity for students to determine a focus for their internship and explore the possibilities for locations, sites, and firms. The location of the internship site can be selected by the student, but must be approved by the RU faculty member supervising the internship. Students develop a resume, write a cover letter, and role-play the interview process through which they will apply for an internship.
The internship requires a minimum of 120 (interior design) or 200 (design management, merchandising and fashion design) hours of work on-site in the field, during which the student submits weekly logs of tasks and experiences.