Highlander Research Rookies
This Highlander Research Rookies program provides 15 apprenticeships each year to high-achieving and highly-motivated first and second year students. Students, selected as Highlander Research Rookies through a competitive process, are paired with a faculty mentor, working alongside him or her for 10 hours per week, thereby maximizing opportunities for research-based engagement and learning.
Students earn a $4,000 stipend ($2,000 at the end of each semester with the submission of their research progress report).
The aim of the program is to engage highly motivated first and second-year students in faculty-mentored, hands-on research and creative scholarly activities. Research Rookies will explore topics while developing relationships with expert faculty in areas you are interested in and gain valuable research and critical-thinking skills.
We are now accepting applications for the Fall 2021 class of Highlander Resarch Rookies! Learn more about the Highlander Research Rookies application process.
The Highlander Research Rookie Program helped put together my future. I now have connections at the university, research skills, and a great program to put on my resume.
Benefits of Highlander Research Rookies:
- Learn what scholarship looks like in your area of interest
- Gain experience working alongside talented faculty
- Gain skills from professional development activities
- Present your research at the Student Engagement Forum
- Earn a $4,000 stipend; $2,000 for the fall semester/$2,000 for the spring semester
Requirements for Highlander Research Rookies:
To be eligible to apply you must be:
- An incoming first-year student or currently a first-year student at Radford University
- Committed to 10 hours a week
- Committed to participate in both the Fall and Spring semesters
- 3.00 GPA
- Curious, independent, and reliable
- Committed to presenting their findings
- Be in good academic standing