Highlander Research Rookies
Radford University’s Research Rookies Program provides research experiences to select high-achieving incoming first year and transfer students to Radford University. Selected students will take a 3 credit hour class in the fall to develop career skills employers want and be paired with a faculty mentor after exploring their options in research and creative works. Students in the program have the opportunity to work alongside their faculty mentor on average for 5 hours a week throughout the next three semesters, thereby maximizing opportunities for research-based engagement and learning. Funding of $4,000 ($1,000 for each of four semesters) will be provided to each Highlander Research Rookie based on active participation in activities associated with Research Rookies.
The Highlander Research Rookie Program helped put together my future. I now have connections at the university, research skills, and a great program to put on my resume."
Benefits of Highlander Research Rookies:
- Earn a $4,000 stipend over two years ($1,000 at the end of each of your first four semesters)
- Gain Career Readiness skills employers desire
- Gain experience working alongside talented faculty
- Learn what research resembles in your area of interest
- Present your research at the Student Engagement Forum
Requirements for Highlander Research Rookies:
To be eligible to apply you must be:
- Any new incoming undergraduate student to Radford University
- Committed to 6 hours a week
- Committed to participate in both the Fall and Spring semesters
- 3.50 GPA
- Curious, independent, and reliable