The natural history collection is a thriving, growing collection! A number of students currently are working with the collection, as part of independent research projects, Honors projects, or learning skills through work-study. Below, we spotlight some of the recent student projects.
- Nikohl Miller and Rose Neikirk are cleaning & prepare skeletons of vertebrates being added to our collection.
- Allyse Fritz is catalogging the rare snails collected by Paul Burch, and helping to digitize our invertebrate collection
- Alex Pearce is digitizing our insect collection, including a flea collection from mongoose in the U.S. Virgin Islands!
- Brittani Sanford, an honors student, completed identification of grasshoppers in our collection
- Laken Cooper worked towards catalogging and digitizing our insect collection
- Cassandra Boerstler worked on a backlog of unmounted herbarium specimens that date back to the 1960s. Adding these to our digitized collection will expand our herbarium collection substantially.
- Erika Palmquist catalogged herbarium specimens, so that we could understand more about the holdings in our collection.