Davis College of Business and Economics
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
The undergraduate program in the Department of Management prepares you for a career in organizations. The program provides knowledge of business and administrative functions and practice, innovative and analytical problem-solving, and applied business decision-making. The management degree is for those primarily interested in dealing with the total operations of organizations. Courses cover decision-making, production of goods and services, supply chain management, electronic business, human resources, entrepreneurship, global issues in management of corporations, and labor relations areas of business.
Upon admission to Radford University or upon selection of a major in business, B.B.A. majors are classified as pre-major. Upon completion of all required pre-business program courses with a minimum average GPA of 2.0, you are officially designated as a business major in your selected field of study and permitted to take 300- and 400-level business courses.
You must have an overall grade point average GPA of at least 2.0 in all courses taken at Radford to graduate with the B.B.A. degree. In addition, you must have at least an overall 2.25 major GPA. For the purpose of computing the major GPA, the major is defined all pre-business and business core courses and the 18-30 hours prescribed for the major by the department. In addition, at least 50 percent of the business courses required for the B.B.A. degree must be taken at Radford University. Business courses are defined as those having the prefix ACTG, BLAW, FINC, MGNT, or MKTG. Those who are earning a business minor must earn a GPA of at least 2.00 in the courses comprising the minor. Courses in a minor are defined under each category. At least 50 percent of the business courses required for a minor must be taken at Radford University.
Enrollment in upper-division courses in the Department of Management (those prefixed by MGNT) is restricted to students who have completed the pre-business program and have been admitted to a business major.
Core Curriculum Requirements
The purpose of the Core Curriculum is to give students a foundational learning experience where they improve their ability to think, both critically and analytically, and begin to take possession of the learning process. The Core Curriculum courses introduce students to a broad academic discipline or field of study and teach them how scholars discover and create knowledge in that area. The centerpiece of the core curriculum is a series of four interdisciplinary courses in Core Foundations. These courses synthesize skills in critical thinking, oral and written communications, technology and information literacy, and ethical reasoning.
Priot to admittance to a business major*, all students pursuing the B.B.A. degree must complete the pre-business program consisting of:
- MATH 125: Finite Mathematics for Business and Economics**
Alternatively, students may also receive credit for MATH 126: Business Calculus OR MATH 138: Precalculus OR MATH 169: Calculus I with Integrated Precalculus II OR MATH 171: Calculus and Analytic Geometry I (formerly MATH 151)
- STAT 200: Introduction to Statistics
- ECON 205: Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECON 206: Principles of Microeconomics
- ACTG 211: Fundamentals of Financial Accounting
- ACTG 212 Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting
* If you wish to pursue the BBA degree, you are classified as pre-accounting, pre-economics, pre-finance, pre-management, pre-marketing (or if you have not yet decided on a specific business major, pre-business).
** Students pursuing the BBA in Economics must take MATH 126 (or MATH 169 or MATH 171)
- Starting in Fall 2016 and prior to taking 300-400 level business courses, students must (1) earn a 2.25 overall GPA and earn a 2.00 pre-business GPA upon completion of all pre-business requirements and (2) complete an electronic application to be admitted to the business major of their choice.
- Students in catalog years prior to Fall 2016 must earn a cumulative 2.00 pre-business GPA to be admitted to the business major of their choice and take 300-400 level business classes.
- Starting with the Fall 2015 semester, ECON 105/106 are now listed as ECON 205/206. If you have already received credit for ECON 105 and/or ECON 106, do NOT register for ECON 205 or ECON 206 unless you need to retake the course. If you have any questions, please contact your adviser.
- ITEC 281 - Data Management and Analysis w/ Spreadsheets
- BLAW 203 - Legal Environment of Business
- MKTG 340 - Principles of Marketing
- ECON 340 - Global Economy and Business
- FINC 331 - Introduction to Business Finance
- MGNT 322 - Organizational Behavior
- MGNT 333 - Statistical Decision Support
- MGNT 357 - Operations Management
- MGNT 428 - Business Strategy
Note: MGNT 333 is a prerequisite to MGNT 357 and MGNT 357 is a prerequisite to MGNT 428
(Students must allow at least three semesters to complete all three of these required courses)
(For degree requirements under other catalogs consult the appropriate catalog, visit the Davis College of Business and Economics Advising Center or obtain an Academic Progress Sheet).
In order to graduate, you must have an overall grade point average GPA of at least 2.0 in all courses taken at Radford University, in addition to an overall 2.25 major GPA (beginning with Fall 2016). For the purpose of computing the major GPA, the major is defined as all pre-business and business core courses and the 18-30 hours prescribed for the major by the department. In addition, at least 50 percent of the business courses required for the B.B.A. degree must be taken at Radford University. Business courses are defined as those having the prefix ACTG, BLAW, FINC, MGNT, or MKTG.
Those who are earning a business minor must earn a GPA of at least 2.0 in the courses comprising the minor. Courses in a minor are defined under each category. At least 50 percent of the business courses required for a minor must be taken at Radford University.