Davis College of Business and Economics
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
B.S. in Economics - Online Degree Completion Concentration
Economics is the study of how people manage their scarce resources. As trends in education change, we feel that it is important for economics knowledge to be accessible to students pursing alternative paths. We have created a fully online bachelors degree for students interested in completing the remainder of their undergraduate education.
This major is intended for students who (1) have completed an eligible transferrable Associate’s Degree (does not include the Applied Science degree) or are within 6 hours of completing their core curriculum/general education requirements, or (2) wish to be readmitted to Radford University who are within 6 hours of completing their core curriculum/general education requirements. This major is only available for transfer and readmitted students who are unable to complete a degree on campus. All courses will be available in an online format.
The B.S. in Economics - Online Degree Completion Concentration explores decision-making behavior as well as the system of social, political, cultural and commercial environments where these decisions happen. This major places particular emphasis on critical reasoning, analytical thinking, scientific reasoning, argument and persuasion, real-world problem-solving and self-motivation. Students explore topics in poverty, inequality, sustainability, politics, trade and economy.
This program involves 12 ECON courses, 3 courses developing technical skills (MATH/STAT/ITEC) and 2 courses from outside the Davis College of Business and Economics. Students then fill open electives with other online courses available from Radford University. For more information about this program, visit the Economics BS Degree in the Radford University Catalog (scroll towards the bottom to see the Degree Completion Concentration requirements).
ECONOMICS COURSEWORK (36 credit hours)
- ECON 105 - Principles of Macroeconomics (GE)
- ECON 106 - Principles of Microeconomics (GE)
- ECON 305 - Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory
- ECON 306 - Intermediate Microeconomic Theory
- ECON 321 - Econometrics
- ECON 495 - Current Topics in Economics
- ECON Electives. Students must take 18 additional credits in ECON not used above. All elective coursework must be taken at the 200-300-400 level.
TECHNICAL SKILL (9-10 credit hours)
- ITEC 281 - Data Management and Analysis with Spreadsheets (GE)
- MATH. One of:
- STAT 200 - Introduction to Statistics (GE)
BS REQUIREMENTS (6-8 credit hours)
Students must take 6-8 credit hours of courses outside the Davis College of Business and Economics. These courses must come from Foreign Language, Geospatial Science, History, Information Technology, Mathematics, Physics, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, or Statistics.
- Students must complete a total of 120 credit hours (including credits transferred) to receive this degree.
- Students must have at least a 2.25 GPA in in-major coursework (BS Requirements and Required Major Coursework).