Exercise, Sport and Health Education 450
1. Catalog Entry
Credit hours (3)
Prerequisite: 56 credit hours and minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
The purpose of this course is to introduce descriptive, correlational, and experimental research designs. The course will require students to critically analyze empirical articles and to analyze/evaluate data. APA formatting will be used throughout the course.
2. Detailed Description of Course
The course will combine lecture and flipped classroom strategies to encourage understanding of descriptive, correlational, and experimental research. Students will review literature, critically analyze topics, and use excel/SPSS to analyze and evaluate data. Students will use this course to prepare for an independent research project during a follow-up course.
3. Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Students will participate in:
1) Literature review searches
2) Article critiques
3) Class discussions on research designs
4) Development of descriptive, correlational, and experimental designs
5) Data analysis and evaluation of previously collected data
4. Goals and Objectives of the Course
1) Use research databases to identify academic articles.
2) Select an appropriate design and method to answer a research question.
3) Analyze and evaluate existing data.
4) Write article critiques.
5) Distinguish among appropriate designs to answer specific research questions.
5. Assessment Measures
Assessment measures may include, but are not limited to:
1) Article critiques
2) Short-answer written exams
3) Data analysis projects
6. Other Course Information
Review and Approval