Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Nursing: Pre-License
- Emergency Services
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Nursing: Accelerated Pre-License
- Surgical Technology
- Public Health
- Healthcare Administration
- Respiratory Therapy
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Center for Interprofessional Education and Practice
- Health Sciences
- Nursing: Post-Licensure
- Clinical Simulation Center
- Applied Physiology Laboratory
- School of Social Work
- Department of Occupational Therapy
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
- School of Nursing
Completing the Radford University Carilion post-licensure RN to BSN program will propel your career to the next level; creating opportunities for increased responsibility and earning potential. The RN to BSN program provides professional nurses with the opportunity to build strong practical nursing skills through research, leadership and community service. The program builds upon the previous education and experiences of registered nurses and features:
- Personalized academic advisement
- Academic support services
- Convenient course scheduling
- A fully online program requiring no travel to campus
- Part-time and full-time options
- Small classes
- Prior learning assessment credit
This program allows RN to BSN students to continue to work while they pursue their degree in a flexible and convenient environment.
What makes this program different?
- Carilion Clinic. As a student at Jefferson College you will be part of a healthcare clinic that employs nearly 13,000 healthcare professionals and has facilities that span over 200 miles. You will have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, national leaders in all areas of healthcare practice and administration, clinical rotations totaling 600 hours largely within Carilion Clinic facilities, and opportunities to learn in the company of medical students, doctoral students, mater's students and other undergraduates.
Carilion Clinic has received Magnet Recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center which is the highest honor a hospital can receive for the quality of its nursing professionals.
- Admitted to Your Program. As a new student, you will begin your studies immediately as a nursing student; not a pre-nursing student. With support from your faculty and classmates, we fully expect that you will rise to meet the program's demands and progress toward your degree.
- The Right-track- The RN to BSN program recognizes that it must be flexible to accommodate the schedules, commitments and lives of working nurses. Offered fully online, students may enroll full-time or part-time to meet their needs, and if their needs change from semester to semester so too can their enrollment. There is no need to travel to campus, and student may complete their course work in the environment that is most convenient to them.
- Interprofessionalism- Radford University Carilion provides students with opportunities to interact and learn beside a broad range of healthcare providers, so they’re prepared to collaborate across specialties from the start of their careers.
- Research and Adaptation- As you know, nurses are lifelong learners who evolve with advances in technology, medicine and science. Spend time refining your skills in medical and scientific research to expand the habits of mind to allow growth throughout the rest of your healthcare career.
While you may return to your previous employer with your new degree, you should also know that many of our graduates have career jobs lined up prior to graduation, and they become successful healthcare professionals across a wide range of practice areas, including:
- Hospitals (inpatient and outpatient)
- Physician offices
- Long-term care facilities
- Home healthcare services
- Employment services
- Rehabilitation centers
- Government agencies
- Outpatient care centers
- Social assistance agencies
- Educational institutions
- Research institutions
- Public health
Many of our BSN students pursue careers as Nurse Practitioners, which ranks among the top 30 high-growth professions with a projected 10-year growth rate of over 36%, according to data recently released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This rate exceeds the average among the 30 high-growth professions and provides a clear indication that the career outlook in nursing is bright.
Given the tremendous need for well-qualified nurses throughout the U.S., the Federal Government and many employers offer loan-forgiveness programs that help licensed nurses who chose to practice in high-need areas repay the student loans they incur during their education. The NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program, for example, is a unique program geared toward nurses who work in underserved communities at Critical Shortage Facilities. Registered nurses who work at least 32 hours a week at a qualified facility can have 60% of their student loans paid in two years of employment. The Perkins Loan, The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, as well as loan-forgiveness programs offered by individual States also provide tremendous opportunities to support to practicing nurses.
Students entering the RN to BSN program must have a current RN license and complete all standard admission requirements. A dedicated admissions officer will serve as the point of contact for applicants to discuss application materials and individual circumstances. Most RN to BSN students are able shorten their plan of study by transferring prerequisite and elective courses from other accredited colleges and universities, challenging courses, or completing prior learning assessments. Radford University Carilion awards 54 validation credits for prior nursing education once foundational knowledge has been verified through satisfactory performance in specified upper division nursing courses.
The baccalaureate degree programs in nursing and master's degree programs in nursing at Radford University Carilion are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, (202)887-6791.
The nursing pre-licensure degree programs are approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing, 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300, Henrico Virginia 23233-1463.