Non-Traditional Student Information

Non-Degree Seeking

Non-degree student must first have been admitted as a special non-degree seeking student before registering. Undergraduate non-degree seeking students are restricted from registering for classes until all degree-seeking students have completed their first two weeks of registration (tuition waiver non-degree students may register as noted below) and may do so through the assistance of either the Academic Success Center or the Registrar's Office. A student desiring to switch to a degree candidacy status must apply through the Office of Admissions. Students desiring to switch to degree-candidacy are cautioned that hours earned while in the special non-degree student status may or may not apply to a major program, depending on the degree requirements. Students who have been in a degree seeking status and have been suspended from the university may not apply for readmission as a special non-degree student.

Tuition Waiver for university staff and faculty

If you plan to take a course at Radford University please submit your Tuition Waiver Request Form to the Department of Human Resources for approval.  After approval is received, please bring a copy of the Form to the Registrar's Office beginning the first day of classes in order to be registered for the class.

Employees who have taken classes must follow the same procedures as regularly enrolled RU students and maintain continuous enrollment in order to register for classes each semester.  If an employee chooses not to take a course at RU during a regular semester he or she will need to apply for readmission to the University in order to continue to take classes in subsequent semesters.  For more information on the readmission process, please see Withdrawal and Readmission.

Senior Citizens

Under the terms of the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974 as amended, eligible Virginia residents over 60 years of age with a taxable income of less than $23,850 are entitled to enroll in courses offered for academic credit on a space available basis without payment of tuition and fees. Tuition, however, may be charged for courses designed exclusively for senior citizen groups.  Senior citizen students must first have been admitted to the university.