College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate
The PMHNP graduate certificate will prepare the advanced practice nurse (APN) with the expertise and skills to diagnose and treat individuals suffering with psychiatric and mental health disorders. The graduate certificate courses will provide the APN with the skills to prescribe psychotropic medication and provide psychotherapy to individuals across the lifespan. Upon completion of the approved courses, the certificate seeking student will be eligible to take the PMHNP American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification exam.
It is projected that a full time student can complete the certificate in one year and part-time students may require 18 to 24 months for completion.
- A master’s degree in nursing (M.S.N.) or doctoral degree in nursing (Ph.D. or D.N.P.)
- Current certification as a Nurse Practitioner and a license to practice as a registered nurse
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale at the graduate level
- Current certification in BLS or ACLS
- Completed Graduate College application
- Resume or curriculum vitae that includes prior education and professional practice
- Professionally written letter describing career goals and how certification will assist in achieving those goals
- Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended
- Three letters of reference from professional contacts
- Personal phone interview with graduate nursing faculty
Please note: Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are not required.
All students with a current certification as a Nurse Practitioner will be required to complete the following courses and clinical hours to enable them to meet the criteria established by ANCC for the PMHNP certification exam. The PMHNP courses have met prior approval by the Radford University Graduate College, for the PMHNP concentration in the post-B.S.N. to D.N.P. degree.
- NURS 760: Advanced Nursing Practice in Psychiatric Mental Health: Theory & Practice - (3 credit hours)
- NURS 761: Neuropathophysiology & Differential Diagnosis of Mental Disorders: A Lifespan Approach - (4 credit hours)
- NURS 762: Psychotherapeutic Treatment Modalities & Clinical Psychopharmacology - (4 credit hours)
- NURS 763: PMHNP Practicum I: Children & Adolescents - (6 credit hours - 270 clinical hours)
- NURS 764: PMHNP Practicum II: Adult & Geriatrics - (6 credit hours - 270 clinical hours)