Social Security Guidelines

International and Exchange Students holding F-1 and J-1 visas may apply for a social security card ONLY if they have been offered a job on-campus (or off-campus with required immigration approval). International applicants must apply in person at a local Social Security Office. The nearest office is in Roanoke. Clients are assisted on a first-come, first-serve basis.

To apply for a Social Security number, you must submit the following documents to the Social Security office:

  • Social Security Application Form 
    • Please make sure to note your Radford or local address on the Social Security Application Form.
  • Letter from the Center for Global Education and Engagement, and signed by the Immigration Counselor at your school and your employment supervisor. Please contact to request the letter, and provide information on the employment you have accepted.
  • Passport
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • I-94
  • If change of status was accomplished within the U.S., please also take your I-797 approval notification notice.

When your Social Security Number Application has been approved, the card will be sent to you by mail to the address indicated on your application form.

Please contact the Center for Global Education and Engagement with any questions or concerns at 540-831-6200 or