College of Visual & Performing Arts
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Concentration in Music Education
The Bachelor of Music in Music Education prepares you for a career as a choral director, instrumental director, or general music teacher in public schools. In accordance with certification guidelines (K-12) established by the Commonwealth, you can choose either a vocal/choral or an instrumental concentration.
Vocal/choral students pursue applied music study in voice, keyboard or guitar. Instrumental students have applied study on a band/orchestra instrument or guitar. Both concentrations receive a solid foundation of pedagogical skills and professional knowledge, with many opportunities to observe and participate in public school settings, K-12.
Virginia has reciprocal licensure agreements with 48 other states. The high demand for public school music teachers has resulted in a near 100 percent placement rate for graduates of this program.