Frequently Asked Questions

What examination do I need to take in order to apply?

Radford University requires all applicants to the graduate music program to take either the Graduate Record General Examination or the Praxis II Music Content Examination. For the GRE have test scores submitted directly from the testing service directly to Radford University.  For Praxis II scores please have scores mailed to your home, leave the envelope unopened and mail directly to the Radford University Graduate College.  Do not have Praxis II scores mailed directly to the University.

How can I learn more about the graduate music programs at Radford University?

Visit the Radford University College of Graduate and Professional Studies website or learn more from the Department of Music

How can I learn about the graduate music assistantships?

View our financial aid and graduate assistantships page.

How do I register for classes?

Graduate music student class registration will take place during the first week of classes. Report to your principal advisor on the first day of classes to determine a course schedule. The department chairman can enter your course schedule into the system.

Is there an entrance examination?

All entering graduate music students are required to take an music theory and history entrance examination during the first class meeting of Bibliography and Research (MUSC 601). This examination consists of 50 multiple choice questions covering all periods of music history and a roman numeral analysis of a musical example from the Romantic period. Students are encouraged to prepare for this examination prior to entering the university. Additional details concerning this examination can be found in the current Radford University graduate catalog.