Incoming Freshman FAQ

Tips of Surviving Your First Year as a College Student:

  • As we like to say “go to class, go to class, go to class”
  • Ask questions and take notes
  • Seek out information and resources (The Advising Center is a hub of useful information and if we don't know the answer, we will help you find it)
  • Plan out your semester and use the calendar on your phone to set reminders


We know starting college is a lot to take in, so we have put together a list of our frequently asked questions by incoming freshman:

What MATH should I take in high school to prepare for MATH in college?

The required math for the Davis College of Business and Economics is Business Calculus. In order for new freshman to start with the correct math, they should take pre-calculus in high school and earn a "C" or higher. The advising center staff screens all new students to evaluate which math they need to be placed into upon starting Radford. 

How to receive credit for AP/DE/IB courses that I took in high school?

In order to receive credit for Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and Dual Enrollment courses taken before attending Radford University you will need to submit transcripts, or test reports of your grades and test results. 


AP test results will need to be submitted and evaluated before credit may be given for the course. Score sheets can be obtained through your high school counseling office, or the testing agency College Board. See the Advanced Placement and College Level Exam Program section of the catalog.


Radford University recognizes the advanced level of academic preparation demonstrated by the International Baccalaureate. Students entering Radford University with an IB Certificate will be awarded three to eight (3-8) semester hours of credit (up to 12 for Foreign Language) for each course completed at the Higher Level with a score of four through seven (4-7). See the International Baccalaureate Policy in the RU catalog.


In order to receive DE credit to be counted, an official transcript must be received by the Radford University Registrar’s Office from the community college that the course was taken through. A high school transcript showing the grade in the course is not sufficient.

Review the VCCS transfer guide to see equivalences for DE courses taken at Virginia Community College System school’s, as well as Richard Bland College. If your DE courses were taken outside the Commonwealth of Virginia, then specific credit will need to be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office to determine credit.

If final transcripts, or test scores are not available at the time that you attend Quest: New Student Orientation then please bring unofficial copies of these documents to aid in advising for your first semester. Note that unofficial documents will not grant you credit for these courses, but will only assist staff for advising purposes.

I want to meet with an advisor to schedule classes, how do I select my schedule?

Incoming students will meet with the advising center staff during New Student Orientation, called Quest. 


During this time, the Advising Center will over majors, minors and curriculum. Each student's transcripts will be looked at and suggestions will be made regarding students course selection. During Quest, students will also be able to sign up for classes with the help of the Advising Center Staff. 


Is there a laptop requirement for the College of Business and Economics?

All students taking one or more courses in the Davis College of Business and Economics (DCOBE) must have a portable computer. The computer shall:

  • meet Radford University recommendations, as specified by the Division of Information Technology
  • run Windows operating system 8 or higher,
  • be loaded with the most recent MS Office Suite of software applications for the Windows operating system,
  • be compliant with RU security requirements for access to the RU computing network, including anti-virus software.

I’m nervous about starting a school where I don’t really know anyone, what clubs or organization can I get involved with?

There are so many opportunities at Radford to get involved. With almost 300 clubs and organizations, there is something for everyone... and if not, you can start your own club. Once you have access to your MyRU portal, there is a portal built just for clubs and organizations called "RUInvolved".