College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Army ROTC
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Prelaw Advising
- Department of Political Science
- School of Communication
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Women's & Gender Studies
- Center for Police Practice, Policy and Research
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Department of History
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Department of English
Top 10 Reasons to Attend the Experimental Psychology Program
1. QUALITY OF PROFESSORS
- Our faculty are consistently described as extremely knowledgeable, professional, accessible, responsive, and supportive of students’ personal, academic, and professional development.
2. PROGRAM SIZE AND ATMOSPHERE
- We accept a relatively small number of students in the Experimental program, so small class sizes are a major strength of our program.
- There is a broad range of courses offered, as well as research opportunities. The coursework provides a solid foundation for students entering the workforce or for those pursuing further graduate education.
4. CLASSROOM AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
- The balance between classroom work and research experience prepares students for pursuing a doctoral degree or obtaining a job in the real world applying the skills they learn.
5. RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES AND COLLABORATION BETWEEN STUDENTS AND FACULTY.
- The program provides opportunities to conduct research with faculty from diverse backgrounds. All students complete a Master’s thesis and obtain an MA degree. Engaging in scholarship with faculty increases the likelihood of being a co-author on peer-reviewed publications and/or presenting papers at regional, national, or international conferences. Students may obtain funding from the university to present the results of their research at conferences as well.
6. SUCCESS OF OUR GRADUATES
- The Experimental program has a very good success rate for students applying to doctoral programs, as well as obtaining jobs in a research setting.
- Radford University provides excellent value at a very competitive price. Many graduate assistantship opportunities are available both within, and external to, the Psychology Department. Students may assist faculty with research, instructional or office duties or work in an administrative office. After completion of their first year in our program, students may apply for a Graduate Teaching Fellowship (GTF), which not only pays well but provides excellent experience and training for an academic career.
8. OPPORTUNITY TO TEACH
- Graduate teaching assistantships at Radford University are used to recruit and retain full-time quality students in graduate programs. They are designed to enhance the educational experience for both graduate students and the undergraduates with whom they may have contact.
•Although students complete a core set of course requirements, which ensure a broad background and training in Psychology, there is also flexibility in the program. You have the opportunity to individually tailor the program to match your academic and research interests.
10. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
- As any good real estate agent will tell you, location, location, location really is an important factor in people’s choices of where to live. Although not a strength of our program per se, it is so consistently mentioned that we cannot in good faith leave it off our list. Radford and the New River Valley are “a beautiful part of the country” with a lovely river, nice parks, good hiking opportunities in the area and larger cities nearby.