DNCE 105: Beginning Ballet
Credit Hours: (2) Four hours technique
Based on the Vagonova System, a scientific, thorough, and highly expressive classical ballet training method. Theory as well as fundamental barre and centre practice, including adagio and allegro techniques on a beginning level.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
Learn proper placement of body, head, arms, and legs. Learn ballet positions, basic battements, basic port de bras, and basic allegro movements; Introductory exercise on demi-pointe and pointe.
- Demi Plie, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th positions
- Battement Tendue
- Battement Tendu Demi Plie
- Battement Tendu Jete
- Rond De Jambe Par Terre en dehors and en dedans
- Simple Port De Bras
- Battement Frappe (forward, Side, back)
- Battement Soutenu (forward, side, back)
- Battement Fondu (forward, side, back)
- Preparation for Rond De Jambe En L’air
- Petit Battement sur le cou-de-pied
- Battemtn Double Frappe (forward, Side, Back)
- Grand Battement Jete (forward, Side, Back)
- Grand Plie 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th positions
- Battement Releve Lent (forward, Side, back)
- Battement Developpe (passé, grand rond de jambe developpe)
- Rond De Jambe En L’air en dehors and en dedans
- Temps Releve
- Releve on demi pointe and pointe 1st, 2nd and 5th positions.
- Poses: Attitude, 2nd arabesque, and Ecartee (45-90 Degree
- Same as at the barre with additions:
- Arm Positions
- Poses: Croise, Efface, Ecarte, 1st, 2nd , 3rd and 4th Arabesques
- Temps Lie
- Poses (45-90 degrees): Croise and Efface, Attitude croise and efface, A la Second, Ecarte, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Arabesques
- Port de Bras (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th)
- Pas De Bourree Simple
- Pas De Bourree Dessus-Dessous
- Fouette from a la second to 1st arabesque
- Preparation for small pirouettes from 4th, 5th, and 2nd positions
- Saute 1st, 2nd, and 5th positions
- Changement De Pied
- Pas De Basque
- Sissonne Simple
- Emboite Sur le cou-de-pied
- Sissonne Ferme en Face
- Temps leve saute sur le cou-de-pied
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
A professional approach in which the fundamental theory and technique of the Vagonova Method of training in classical ballet is introduced to the adult beginner.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
At the conclusion of the course, the student will:
1. Demonstrate an intellectual and physical understanding of the fundamental principles of Classical Ballet technique.
2. Be able to execute elementary ballet combinations and steps.
3. Possess knowledge of elementary ballet terminology.
Assessment measures may include direct observation by the instructor, digital/videotaping for analysis by the instructor and/or student, practical and written exams, and class attendance.
Other Course Information
The student's basic and traditional dance education may be supplemented by such aids as viewing videos of classical ballet, and attending live performances.
Review and Approval
Revised April, 2009