ATTR 430: Senior Professional Athletic Training Seminar
Prerequisite: ATTR 355, Senior standing, cumulative GPA of 2.75; or permission of instructor
Credit Hours: (3)
Resume writing, interviewing, and a comprehensive review of the Athletic Training educational competencies. This course requires the completion of 120 hours of clinical experience performed under the supervision of an Approved Clinical Instructor.
Note(s): Students cannot receive credit for both ESHE 430 and ATTR 430.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
This course is designed to allow future certified athletic trainers an opportunity to develop their cognitive, psychomotor and affective skills while interacting in an athletic environment. In addition, there is a concentration in the psychomotor domain area of administrative tasks, which includes topics related to the professional development of future athletic trainers.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Students in this course will be required to work with a program preceptor to participate in coverage of athletic events, and the administration of an athletic training facility.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
1. Describe the importance of the NATA Code of Ethics and Code of professional practice.
2. Describe the relationship between the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA), the Board of Certification (BOC), the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), and the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE).
3. Define the concept of continuing education units and how they relate to athletic training.
4. Schedule athletic training coverage.
5. Describe legal issues facing the athletic trainer including professional licensure and credentialing.
6. Differentiate between the essential documents of the NATA, BOC, and CAATE.
Assessment measures may include one or more of the following:
1. Written examination.
2. Performance in the clinical setting.
3. Completion of supervised clinical hours.
Additional Course Information
Review and Approval
September 2002 Reviewed Jon Poole