Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Family Access to Medical Insurance Security
The Family Access to Mecial Insurance Security Outreach Project is funded by Child Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA) and federal monies. It is administered by the Virginia Health Care Foundation. Families are encouraged to contact the FAMIS Outreach Project to sign up or renew their eligible uninsured children for state sponsored health insurance programs (FAMIS/MEDICAID). FAMIS outreach staff also act as health care advocates. Individuals who have been denied health care access may contact the outreach project for referrals to other health care safety net providers.
FAMIS, or Family Access to Medical Insurance Security, is Virginia’s state child health insurance program (“SCHIP”) and is very similar to the children’s Medicaid program. FAMIS covers doctor visits, hospitalizations, prescriptions, dental, vision, hearing, speech, and durable medical equipment. FAMIS allows families to earn up to 200% of the federal poverty level. For example a family of four may earn up to $44,700 per year. Children also must meet citizenship requirements. Families will not pay a monthly premium but may have $2 or $5 co pays and a hospital admission will be no more than a $25 copay.
- If your children currently have FAMIS, contact the FAMIS Central Processing Unit (CPU) for questions about your case and/or changes in income or address, 1-866-873-2647.
- If your children have Medicaid (FAMIS Plus) or Medallion, contact your local Eligibility Worker at your local DSS if you have questions about your case and/or changes in income or address.
- If your children have a Managed Care Organization (MCO) such as Virginia Premier, Optima, Anthem, CareNet, Carilion, etc. and you need assistance finding a provider, have questions regarding services covered, or need help with referrals, call the MCO number printed on your MCO card.
To locate a dental provider for your children who have Medicaid or FAMIS contact Smiles for Children. (888) 912-3456.