Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Nursing: Pre-License
- Emergency Services
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Nursing: Accelerated Pre-License
- Surgical Technology
- Public Health
- Healthcare Administration
- Respiratory Therapy
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Center for Interprofessional Education and Practice
- Health Sciences
- Nursing: Post-Licensure
- Clinical Simulation Center
- Applied Physiology Laboratory
- School of Social Work
- Department of Occupational Therapy
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
- School of Nursing
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
This four-year Nursing: Pre-License program integrates traditional classroom work with laboratory, clinical and hands-on learning. Radford University Carilion nurse-patient learning model will also emphasize patient-centered care, interprofessionalism and critical thinking in an educational setting.
What makes this program different?
- Carilion Clinic- As a student at Radford University Carilion, you will be part of a healthcare clinic that employs nearly 13,000 healthcare professionals and has facilities that span over 200 miles. You will have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, national leaders in all areas of healthcare practice and administration, clinical rotations totaling 600 hours largely within Carilion Clinic facilities, and opportunities to learn in the company of medical students, doctoral students, mater's students and other undergraduates.
Carilion Clinic has received Magnet Recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center which is the highest honor a hospital can receive for the quality of its nursing professionals.
- Admitted to Your Program- As a new student, you will immediately begin your studies as a nursing student; not a pre-nursing student. Our retention and success rates are high, and you can enroll with the confidence that the BSN is within your reach.
- Interprofessionalism- We provide our students with opportunities to interact and learn beside a broad range of healthcare providers, so they’re prepared to collaborate across specialties from the start of their careers.
- Research and Adaptation- Nurses are lifelong learners who must be able to evolve with advances in technology, medicine and science. You will spend time learning about medical and scientific research in coursework that will teach the habits of mind to allow growth throughout your entire healthcare career.
|NCLEX-RN 2018 first-time pass rate: 89.40%||National average 91.00%|
|NCLEX-RN 2017 first-time pass rate: 91.00%||National average 87.85%|
|NCLEX-RN 2016 first-time pass rate: 88.40%||National average 84.57%|
After receiving your BSN, you will take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) to gain licensure. Radford University Carilion students regularly pass this exam at rates well above the national average. Your education will prepare you for the NCLEX-RN, and intensive preparation during your final semester of study will put you in the very best position to gain licensure.
While you may return to your previous employer with your new degree, you should also know that many of our graduates have career jobs lined up prior to graduation, and they become successful healthcare professionals across a wide range of practice areas, including:
- Hospitals (inpatient and outpatient)
- Physician offices
- Long-term care facilities
- Home healthcare services
- Employment services
- Rehabilitation centers
- Government agencies
- Outpatient care centers
- Social assistance agencies
- Educational institutions
- Research institutions
- Public health
Students must have a 2.8 GPA on a 4.000 scale to be considered for admission to the Nursing program.
Pre-licensure BSN Track Students who have failed two prior nursing courses are not eligible for admission until after a two-year period has elapsed since the last nursing course failure.
This four-year BSN is designed for students looking for a traditional four-year college experience who do not already hold nursing degrees. Some students enter directly from high school; others transfer from community college or four-year colleges and universities; and others already hold bachelor’s degrees in other fields and are seeking to enter the nursing profession. We are looking for motivated students with a background that demonstrates the ability to handle challenging work in a fast-paced environment.
The baccalaureate degree programs in nursing and master's degree programs in nursing at Radford University Carilion are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, (202)887-6791.
The nursing pre-licensure degree programs are approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing, 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300, Henrico Virginia 23233-1463.