Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Nursing: Pre-License
- Emergency Services
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Nursing: Accelerated Pre-License
- Surgical Technology
- Public Health
- Healthcare Administration
- Respiratory Therapy
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Center for Interprofessional Education and Practice
- Health Sciences
- Nursing: Post-Licensure
- Department of Occupational Therapy
- School of Nursing
- Clinical Simulation Center
- Applied Physiology Laboratory
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
- School of Social Work
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
The Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy Program is a four-year program that blends hands-on, laboratory and class learning.
This program provides you with the knowledge, skills and hands-on experience that will help you begin your exciting career in the respiratory therapy field.
There is a growing demand for highly skilled respiratory therapists, and the Radford Univresity Carilion program has the classes, faculty, real-world experiences and state-of-the-art lab to prepare you to be a top employee in your field.
For more detailed program information and requirements, visit our Academic Catalog.
The Respiratory Therapy Program at RUC provides students with opportunities to participate in hands-on experiences with diagnostic procedures like:
- Drawing and analyzing blood samples to determine the levels of oxygen, carbon dioxide and other gases in order to assess the best course of treatment for a patient.
- Measuring the capacity and efficiency of a patient's lungs to determine if there is impaired function.
- Performing stress tests and other studies of the cardiopulmonary system.
- Studying disorders of people with disruptive sleep patterns.
- Obtaining and analyzing sputum and breath specimens.
- Reading and analyzing chest x-rays and electrocardiograms.
Our program and clinical affiliates provides hands-on experience in sub-acute care, ICU rotations — pediatric, neonatal and adult — flight transport, long-term vent units, physician office rotations, sleep labs, pulmonary function testing and more.
What makes this program different?
- As a student at Radford University Carilion you will be part of a healthcare clinic that employs nearly 14,000 healthcare professionals and has facilities that span more than 200 miles. You will have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, national leaders in all areas of healthcare practice and administration.
- Our clincial affiliates include high level centers in which you can choose rotations that have you in the trenches, on rapid response teams and flight transport, as well as rotations in sleep labs, long-term vent units, ICU and more.
- Radford University Carilion organizes and is dediated to interprofessional education (IPE). Each semester, we host interprofessional experiences. These experiences gives you the most crucial one-of-a-kind, hands-on learning you can get as an undergraduate, preparing you to excel professionally.
With demand for respiratory therapists on the rise, salaries are following suit. A recent study found that the average salary for a respiratory therapist in the U.S. is $62,223 and respiratory therapists beginning their careers can expect to earn between $42,000 and $47,000 annually.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Respiratory Therapists is expected to increase by up to 26% in coming years.
In addition to the traditional four-year academic path in Respiratory Therapy, Radford University Carilion offers the opportunity for junior-level transfer students with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and eight credits of anatomy and physiology if you have done one of the following:
- Completed the first two years of our plan of study [PDF].
- Graduated from a VCCS school with an associate's degree.
- Graduated from a regionally accredited institution with a bachelor's degree.
The Respiratory Therapy program, CoARC program number 200312, baccalaureate degree, Radford University Carilion is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC), www.coarc.com.
Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented. Programmatic outcomes data reported on the CoARC website include: 3-year time period being reported; CRT credentialing success; RRT credentialing success; Achievement of the high cut score on the TMC Exam (beginning 2018); Retention (Attrition); Job placement; Overall Graduate Satisfaction; Overall Employer Satisfaction; On-time Graduation Rate; Total number of program enrollees; Total number of program graduates; Maximum Annual Enrollment.