Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Nursing: Pre-License
- Department of Physical Therapy
- Emergency Services
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Healthcare Management
- Nursing: Accelerated Pre-License
- Surgical Technology
- Public Health
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nursing: RN to BSN
- Department of Occupational Therapy
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Center for Interprofessional Education and Practice
- Health Sciences
- School of Nursing
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Clinical Simulation Center
- School of Social Work
- Applied Physiology Laboratory
100% Online Track Available
Every day, the world of healthcare is growing by leaps and bounds. From working in the lab to the clinic to the community, there are a wide variety of healthcare roles that someone entering the profession can choose from-and the demand is rising. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics states that the healthcare industry is one of the fastest growing employment sectors and is expected to grow by 18% through 2026.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences at Radford University Carilion is a broad-based, foundational degree that prepares students for a variety of in-demand health and healthcare professions. The program serves students seeking direct entry into a health profession or prepares students for admission into a graduate program in a health-related field. For students already working in the health sector, degree completion offers an opportunity for career advancement.
The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences program is to prepare students to apply scientific reasoning, communicate effectively, and enter health-related professions that aim to improve health at individual and community levels.
Through this program you will:
- Assess health information and scientific data for evaluating the health status of individuals and communities.
- Apply critical thinking skills based on empirical evidence and contextual frameworks in the health sciences.
- Analyze ethical issues and challenges facing individual and community health.
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills that display competency and professionalism in the health sciences.
- Engage in civic activities and service that promote individual and community health.
Choose Your Career Path
Radford University Carilion offers three Plans of Study in the undergraduate Health Sciences program:
The Traditional Health Sciences is a four-year/eight semester Plan of Study. It requires students to declare a program minor to help tailor the degree to match interests and professional goals.
Potential minors include:
- Forensic Science
- Healthcare Organizational Management
- Psychology, and
- Public Health.
The 3+1 Health Sciences is a Plan of Study designed for students who have at least 86 credits of undergraduate coursework to complete a bachelor’s degree in two semesters. To be eligible for this plan, students must have completed Radford University Carilion’s core requirements for a bachelor degree and have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA.
The 4+1 Health Sciences is a Plan of Study designed to accelerate graduate study. Students complete a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences and Master of Science in Health Sciences with a five-year/11 semester Plan of Study. To be eligible for this plan, students must have a minimum cumulative 3.3 GPA in undergraduate coursework and complete the Master of Science in Health Sciences program admission requirements.
What makes this program different?
- Take Classes Online: The program can be completed 100% online or as a hybrid program (on-campus & online). Full-time and part-time plans are available.
- Transfer-Friendly: The program is designed so students from other programs or schools can easily transfer in.
- Gain Valuable Practical Experience: The program gives students the opportunity to commit two semesters to either an internship, Service Learning, or Capstone project.
- Personalized Instruction and Advising: The program offers small-class sizes that enhance student/faculty relationships. Students have an academic advisor who works with them to develop a plan which will prepare them for a future healthcare career.
Once you graduate, you will have the ability to utilize your degree in many meaningful ways.
Students become successful health professionals across a wide range of practice areas, including:
- Community and social service agencies
- Educational institutions
- Healthcare systems
- Health insurance organizations
- Government entities
- Long-term care facilities
- Nonprofit health organizations
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Public health departments
- Research laboratories, and
- Wellness centers.
The degree may also prepare students to be competitive for admission to graduate and healthcare professional programs, such as Healthcare Administration, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Public Health.
This program is designed for new students directly from high school or for students transferring from another college or university.
To be considered for the Traditional Health Sciences track admission,
- Meet all admission requirements for Radford University Carilion. Incoming undergraduate students must have completed a core of selected high school or college courses, and recent high school graduates (within the past three years) should provide SAT or ACT scores (SAT Code 5099, ACT Code 4367).
- Submit the Radford University Carilion online application
- Submit official transcript(s) from all institutions – high school OR all higher education institution(s) to the admissions department. A minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA is required for admission, with at least a minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA preferred.
See Health Sciences 3+1 Program and Master of Health Sciences Program for other track admission criteria.
Radford University Carilion is authorized by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) to offer postsecondary education in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Radford University Carilion is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award Associate, Baccalaureate, Masters and Doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Radford University Carilion.