Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Emergency Services
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Surgical Technology
- Public Health
- Healthcare Administration
- Respiratory Therapy: Pre Licensure
- Department of Occupational Therapy
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Center for Interprofessional Education and Practice
- Health Sciences
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
- School of Social Work
- Applied Physiology Laboratory
- Respiratory Therapy: Post Licensure
- Department of Public Health and Healthcare Leadership
100% Online Track Available
Realism is at the heart of Radford University Carilion’s Emergency Services Program. When emergencies happen, first responders are on the front lines of providing care, managing crisis and rescuing those in need.
With Carilion Clinic, Radford University Carilion prepares students to face these challenges in a variety of professions on the entry and management levels in a three to four-year program. We believe in doing as a means to learn. Outstanding clinical opportunities with Carilion Clinic and internship rotations with more than 20 Fire and EMS agencies are available across the region.
Radford University Carilion offers three tracks in our Emergency Services Program so you can match your education to your career goals:
- The Paramedic/Firefighter Track (campus): prepares students for fire and emergency medical services (EMS) positions and the skills for entry-level management and leadership positions in the fire and EMS professions. Graduates will be eligible to sit for the national paramedic certification exam and complete numerous fire certifications.
- The Paramedic/Critical Care Track (campus): prepares students for advanced patient care methodologies within the critical care ground and air transport environment. This track also prepares the student for entry-level management and leadership positions in non-fire service-based EMS agencies. Graduates will be eligible to sit for the national paramedic certification exam and specialty critical care certifications.
- The Degree Completion Track (online): is designed for students already working in the emergency services field to complete a bachelor’s degree.
What makes this program different?
- Carilion Clinic: As a student at Radford University Carilion, you will be part of a healthcare clinic that employs nearly 14,000 healthcare professionals and has facilities that span over 200 miles. You will have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, national leaders in all areas of healthcare practice and administration.
- We have a full-scale, ambulance in our lab. Our full-scale ambulance simulator is parked in the classroom. Realistic education sessions help you learn the right way, in real-time from the start. From your first day, you are engrossed in a hands-on learning environment that includes 700 hours of clinical and field time. What’s more, you’ll touch more than 10,000 real patients during your time at Radford University Carilion.
- Paramedic certification in 3 years. We are currently the only Bachelor’s program that offers initial paramedic in two tracks, and certification after three years, which allows you to start working in the field sooner.
- Evidence-based learning. You’ll learn from people on the front lines. Radford University Carilion’s entire curriculum is evidence based— our faculty is teaching things they did last night in the field, because our entire faculty still works in emergency services.
Considering a career in Emergency Services? This program can jumpstart your career, and will help you stand out competitively among peers when applying for jobs.
- Nationally, emergency services professions are expected to grow 24% by 2024.
- Graduation Rate from program – 100%
- National certification rate — 100%
- Employment — 100% upon or close to graduation.
Not every program has the same requirements. The following requirements are specific to this program.
- Must be 18 years of age or older prior to the start of the second semester
- Must have current Virginia EMT-Basic certification (reciprocity is available from other states) prior to the start of the second semester.
- Fire Track Only - Must have current Virginia FF II certification (reciprocity is available from other ProBoard states) prior to the start of the fourth semester.
The Radford University Carilion Emergency Services Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP)
The Emergency Services Program is also accredited by the Virginia Department of Health Office of Emergency Medical Services (VAOEMS), 1041 Technology Park Drive, Glen Allen, VA. 23059, phone 1-800-523-6019.
CAAHEP Accredited Paramedic Programs track and report outcome measures annually to the Committee on Accreditation for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
- The most current CoAEMSP Annual Report was for the calendar year 2020.
- The most recent success rate for the National Registry of EMTs Paramedic Cognitive Exam was 92.3%.
- The most recent positive placement rate for graduates was 100%. Positive placement is defined by the CoAEMSP as ‘Employed full or part-time in a related field and/or continuing his/her education and/or serving in the military.’ Positive placement is measured at the completion of the program.
- The most recent retention rate was 86.7%.
Professional and Continuing Education
Radford University Carilion Professional and Continuing Education provides non-college credit bearing courses and seminars that support the mission of RUC.