SGA presidents meet with Va. senators in Washington D.C.
Student Government Association President Colby Bender and Vice President Jacinda Jones recently spent a day in Washington D.C. advocating for higher education.
The two Radford University students, Bender, a senior, and Jones, a junior, were invited to the nation's capital on Jan. 27 where they met with U.S. Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine to discuss college debt and affordability and policies pertaining to the topics. During a roundtable discussion, the group talked about the:
- Impact of student loan debt on future plans
- Impact of student loan debt on family finances
- Ease of navigating student loan repayment options
- Impact of college tuition on in-school plans
- Financial information and data points that would have been helpful before choosing a school and/or major
Bender and other members of the RU student body head to Richmond next week for Advocacy Day to continue the important conversation with state legislators.
"We will continue to advocate for Radford University and the importance of making higher education more affordable statewide to all students who seek the opportunity," Bender said.