Bachelor of Fine Arts
A combination of art and education courses helps students develop an artist-educator identity. Graduates are fully prepared to teach at any K-12 level or in museums, and some choose to pursue graduate programs in art therapy. This concentration is highly regarded with alumni teaching in school districts across the region and state.
Bachelor of Fine Arts
The graphic design concentration encompasses the full scope of visual communication. Students learn how to create powerful images using a combination of illustration, typography, photography, and digital manipulation. Graphic design students develop the software skills and problem-solving skills needed to succeed in this exciting profession. Alumni are performing creative roles at Apple, EA Sports, Volvo, and independent design and advertising firms.
Studio Art Concentration
Bachelor of Fine Arts
(specializations in interdisciplinary studies in art; or photography and lens-based media)
This concentration empowers students to experiment with a wide range of media including drawing, painting, watercolor, photography, ceramics, animation, illustration, and sculpture. Students develop craftsmanship, technical mastery, and original ideas. Studio art students have opportunities to exhibit their work in juried shows, competitions, senior exhibitions, and other events.
Bachelor of Science
The B.S. concentration in Studio Art allows students to combine studies in art with another field. Many choose related coursework in marketing, psychology, or media studies. Students who graduate from this concentration are prepared to combine their artistic skills with other interests.
Bachelor of Arts
The Art History concentration offers interdisciplinary studies of historical and contemporary objects, styles, and topics. Students develop strong research, writing, and analytical skills. The concentration prepares students for work in galleries, libraries, and museums and the pursuit of graduate studies in the humanities.
Why Study Art at Radford?
- You’ll get excellent and attentive mentorship from faculty
- We are a small and diverse community of creators
- We offer affordable and high-quality programs
- You’ll get opportunities to meet and work with professional artists through the department’s artist-in-residence program
- The Department of Art's student-to-faculty ratio is only 14:1, providing an optimized learning environment where the student is not just a number. This enables our faculty to be deeply involved in the success of each student, often maintaining their professional relationships long after graduation.
- The Art faculty are experts in their fields with exhibitions, presentations, publications, awards, and commissioned works for regional, national, and international forums. Our faculty all have years of professional and workplace experience to pass on to students
The department strongly encourages students to seek internships and study abroad opportunities as a supplement to their studies. Students may also pursue work-study positions on campus for financial support while contributing to the inner workings of the university.
- For general information about internships, please visit Radford University's Career Services.
- For general information about study abroad, please visit The Center for Global Education.
- For general information about student employment, please visit Financial Aid.
Internships and other opportunities are available locally, regionally, and nationally. Students are encouraged to discuss these with their advisors and faculty mentors.
Students gain the ability to further refine and focus their creative voices. They will become responsive, flexible, and independent creatives, makers, and thinkers contributing to visual culture. Art students will develop an understanding of the visual arts through a studio-based curriculum and develop professional practices to pursue work as an: independent artist, college instructor, museum worker, or arts administrator.
The Department of Art does not require a portfolio review or any special requirements beyond the regular admissions process. Knowing that our students come from all walks of life and have varying levels of exposure to the arts, the department prefers not to place an extra barrier to admission. It is the belief of our department that incoming students can be coached up and prepared for success by our talented, caring faculty.
1 of 5 NASAD accredited art programs in Virginia
(National Association of Schools of Art and Design)
Less than 350 insitutions nationwide
have earned the prestigious NASAD accreditation
Coming soon! Arist Center for Adaptive Innovation and Creativity
Classes are anticipated to be held in the new 178,000 sq. foot facility starting in the Fall 2024 semester
Participate in art exhibitions while working toward your degree
The Department of Art is proud of our students! They produce professional, original works of art and research. Please enjoy a sample of their creative output below. For a complete and active list of student exhibitions and other events, please visit the Radford University Art Museum and our social media.