Eligibility for the Honors College
Admission to the Honors College is space-limited. There are three ways to be eligible for applying to the Honors Academy:
- Outstanding high school students will be invited to apply to the Honors Academy if they meet at least two of the following three criteria. Invitations are sent via email from the Radford University Admissions office. Application deadlines are typically in mid-March for high school students. If you believe that should have received an invitation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SAT/ACT 1100 SAT (combined V+Q) or 24 ACT
- High School GPA 3.7 (weighted)
- College-leve Courses Earn a B or better in at least one AP/DE/IB course
- Freshmen who earn a 3.5 or better during the first fall semester are eligible to apply over winter break. These students will receive an automatic invitation to apply. After freshman year, students with a 3.5 or better can email email@example.com to request permission to apply.
- Transfer students may also apply to join the Honors College. If you are interested, please contact the Honors College office (firstname.lastname@example.org). Application deadlines are typically in mid-March for transfer students. The honors program at Northern Virginia Community College and Radford University have developed a specific pathway for transferring between our two programs.
Profile of Typical Honors Freshmen
Because the Honors College is space-limited, many students who meet the minimum critera for honors cannot be offered an opening. In past years, new freshmen who have been admitted to honors typically wrote a thoughtful application essay and had qualifications consistent with the following ranges:
|25th Percentile||75th Percentile|
|High School GPA||3.83||4.09|
|High School Rank||85||94|
High school seniors who meet the minimum eligibility criteria should receive an "invitation to apply" email within a month after admission to the university. This letter includes a link to the application portal. The priority deadline for honors applications from high school students is typically in late January. The regular deadline is typically in mid-March.
New freshmen who earn a 3.5 GPA during their first fall semester should receive an "invitation to apply" email over winter break. This email includes the web address for the application portal. The deadline for these applications is typically in early January.
Transfer students interested in applying to honors should send inquiries to email@example.com. The director will assist you in determining whether you are eligible for honors and whether the program would fit your academic goals at Radford. The deadline for transfer applications is typically mid-March.
If you believe that you are eligible to apply, but did not receive an invitation, please contact our office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information about the application portal.