Faculty Resources

Study Abroad - Program Proposals

The Center for Global Education and Engagement welcomes proposals for new study abroad programs. Learn more details about study abroad program proposals.  See more details about deposit deadlines, application deadlines, and financial aid deadlines for your prospective students.  

McGlothlin Faculty Travel Grant Program

With the support of the McGlothlin Family Endowment, international travel grants of up to $2,000 will be awarded to Radford University faculty to supplement the costs of international travel related to planning projects designed to internationalize the Radford University curriculum. Preference is given to faculty developing future study abroad programs and/or comparative courses in one's discipline. Learn more about the McGlothlin International Travel Grants.

Faculty Exchange Awards 

Individual awards of $1,000 will be given to faculty who participate in exchange projects with Radford University's exchange partners.  These projects may involve teaching, researching, mentoring, observing, or otherwise collaborating with our partners, but must also include a return visit to Radford University of a faculty member from a partner university.  

Visiting International Scholar Program

Radford University faculty and staff may apply to the Visiting International Scholar Program for a grant to create an exchange with a scholar from another country. Funds will be made available to support three-to-six week visits of international scholars to Radford University, where they will interact with faculty, staff, and students, both within and outside of the classroom. The Visiting International Scholar program will also provide funding for the Radford University faculty “host” to visit the scholar’s home institution for a reciprocal short-term scholarly visit in a different semester. Ideally, the “exchange” will be completed within a three-year period. For more information, contact please contact the Center for Global Education and Engagement at globaled@radford.edu.

Visiting Faculty Opportunities at Exchange Partners

Several of Radford University's partner institutions abroad will host faculty for short-term and semester-long stays, including opportunities to teach, meet colleagues, and conduct research. Two of Radford University's partners, Kansai Gaidai University in Japan and National Taiwan Normal University have established programs, with generous financial support from the Taiwan institution. These are usually appropriate for faculty on sabbatical leave. For more information, check out KGU.  Contact the CGEE at globaled@radford.edu to discuss other Radford University partnerships that allow for faculty exchanges.

External Funding Sources for Research and Program Development

Faculty may turn to a wide variety of grantors for funds to develop study abroad programs, pursue international opportunities in lecturing and research, and promote internationalization on the Radford University campus. A list of granting agencies and organizations is available.

CIEE International Faculty Development Seminars

Each year, the Council on International Educational Exchange sponsors a number of faculty development seminars all over the world. Topical and geographic foci allow faculty to deepen their  appreciation for cultures and peoples across the globe while coming into contact with CIEE study abroad program locations. Radford University has joined CIEE. For more information visit CIEE online.

*Travel Warning* The University may limit how, when, and where University students and faculty may travel abroad for University-related purposes, taking into consideration issues of terrorism, war, disease, and other risks.  The U.S. Department of State and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) periodically post advisories called "Travel Warnings" for countries or regions within countries that they deem unsafe for Americans.  The University observes all Travel Warnings issued by the U.S. Department of State and the CDC, and prohibits student travel for University-related purposes to regions under a Travel Warning unless exempted according to the petition process.  

In the event of incidents or conditions that may threaten the well-being of students, employees, or the University, the University may, after due deliberation also issue a University Travel Restriction, which limits or prohibits travel to areas not under a U.S. Department of State or CDC Travel Warning.