College of Visual & Performing Arts
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Everyone interested in being a Theatre major is asked to complete an Entry Interview, including both new and transfer students. Whether you are most interested in acting, design, directing, technical theatre, theatre history, teaching, or ‘doing it all,’ the Entry Interview is an important beginning to a fulfilling college career. It is not an ‘elimination audition,’ but rather an opportunity to figure out where to start your studies with us, get to know our faculty and speak with current students. It will also help you find the right academic advisor, area of emphasis, and plan of study.
At your Entry Interview on the RU campus, you will meet with theatre faculty members and present examples of your work. Please dress as you would for a job interview and note the following special instructions for these areas of emphasis:
- students especially interested in performance or directing are asked to bring a memorized audition piece
- students especially interested in theatre design, technical theatre or management are asked to bring a portfolio with samples of your creative work
If you are a high school senior or a transfer applicant, please start making your plans to complete the admission application and to visit campus. You are welcome to schedule your interview even if you haven’t yet received notification of acceptance.
To help us better serve you, please complete our information request form with any additional comments or concerns.
Entry Interview Dates for Prospective Students
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, entry auditions/interviews have been temporarily suspended and students who have not taken part in the scholarship interviews will have their entry interviews conducted in the first week or so of the fall semester. Once conditions change we will announce interview dates for future semesters. However, if you will be traveling to campus, we can still schedule an entry audition/interview and tour of our facilities during your campus visit by contacting the department chair, Richard Dunham. You can also arrange for virtual interviews/auditions by contacting the chair. Students are also encouraged to apply for our freshman scholarships by early January which will involve a virtual audition in mid-February.
Chair, Department of Theatre and Cinema
Phone: (540) 831-5012