College of Visual & Performing Arts
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
RU Dept. of Music focus of presentation at Vancouver conference
In October, 2018, three faculty members from the Department of Music spoke at the College Music Society National Conference in Vancouver, Canada. Drs. Timothy Channell, Trish Winter and Jennifer McDonel gave a presentation titled “Tales from Appalachia: A Community of Like-minded Educators Set on Student Success.” Their talk focused on a vision for creating academic success amid the challenges of teaching a body of students with a wide range of socioeconomic levels here at Radford University.
The faculty members compared differences between students joining the program who already possess a robust array of high-level music experiences, such as private lessons and music camps, to those who come from more rural areas without the financial ability to undertake expensive preparatory endeavors. Their presentation highlighted the formation of close professional relationships with students, faculty mentorship, opportunities for undergraduate and graduate research, and international travel as ways to supersede socioeconomic obstacles to open paths for student success.