College of Visual & Performing Arts
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Schedule an Audition/Campus Visit
The chair of the department handles the initial response to inquiries about the department of dance by phone, email and/or letter. Students may visit and tour the department any time we are in session. Please contact the department if you would like to participate in a technique class.
Note: We are still accepting remote auditions at this time. To schedule a remote audition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for admission into the dance program, a prospective student must attend an audition. Register to audition on one of three dates to be considered for admission:
The audition consists of a time to observe/participate “a day of RU dance” with our current dance majors, an audition class consisting of both classical (Ballet) and contemporary (Modern Dance, Jazz) dance technique forms, and a presentation of a two-minute solo. Additionally there will be time for prospective students and families to meet and speak with current students, faculty and the department chair.
Criteria for acceptance into the Dance Major:
- All applicants must have prior dance training
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Ballet and Modern and/or Jazz Dance technique
- Possess a keen awareness of potential body/health issues related to dance
Applicants are evaluated on the following items:
- Dance technique
- Performance quality
- Ease of movement
- Use of dynamics
- Potential for success in the field