Artis College of Science and Technology
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Biology Department
- Pre-Health Advisory Committee
- GIS Center
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Museum of the Earth Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Chemistry Department
- Radford University Planetarium
- Department of Physics
- Anthropological Sciences
- Selu Observatory
- Center for Information Safety and Security
- Department of Information Technology
- Forensic Science Institute
- Biomedical Science
- Geospatial Science
- MS in Data And Information Management
Apply your classroom knowledge to real-world projects! Solers is offering a co-op position for the Fall 2017 semester to a qualified RU student. Co-op students will work full-time at Solers alongside experienced software engineers. At Solers, students will develop customer-facing applications that will be deployed and used around the world.
WHY CO-OP AT SOLERS IN BLACKSBURG?
Solers offers a major benefit that most other employers cannot offer — the opportunity to live and work in Blacksburg, which is just 15 miles from Radford University. Solers focuses our co-op program at our software development center in Blacksburg because we know there are substantial advantages to continuing to live in the area while you co-op. You remain in Radford, you continue to live and socialize with your friends, and you remain active in your extracurricular activities. You can also choose to take a class while you co-op if you need it to meet pre-requisites for the next semester and/or stay on-track for your intended graduation date. Past co-op students who have pursued this option found that taking a class during their co-op was not difficult to manage, providing they scheduled the class near the beginning or end of the work day.
And if you perform well during your co-op and wish to pursue employment with Solers post-graduation, we frequently extend top employment offers reflecting prior experience with the company and we offer a choice of office location.
A co-op program gives you the opportunity to take one or more semesters of your education and utilize the time to gain valuable work experience by applying the skills you are learning in the classroom. A co-op should not be viewed as “taking time off school,” but rather as an extension of the learning environment. Furthermore, you will maintain your student status. There is no minimum number of semesters for a co-op, and you only commit to one semester at a time or one semester plus a summer.
A co-op provides opportunities to:
- Apply your classroom education to real-world projects, reinforcing and extending the skills learned at Radford.
- Gain experience with leading-edge technologies most students do not get in an academic environment, such as service oriented architectures, web services, and web development technologies.
- Work in a structured software development environment using the software development tools and processes you will need to be familiar with when you graduate that you would otherwise have only limited exposure to in the classroom.
- Take on leadership opportunities within teams that you would not get through a shorter summer internship program.
Universities recognize that a co-op program offers substantial advantages in terms of maturity and preparedness for the workforce when you graduate, and it is well worth the additional time a co-op may add to your education. A co-op will also prepare you to make a good employment decision when you graduate because you will better understand what you are looking for in a first job, allowing you to find an employer meeting your interests and needs.
Software Engineer Co-Op/Intern
Job Description/Requirements: Design, develop, and test leading edge technology solutions in areas such as cybersecurity, satellite ground systems, information management systems, cloud computing, and mobility. Work in a collaborative, team-oriented Agile software development environment.
- Candidates should have a foundation in object-oriented development, preferably in Java.
- Ability to quickly adapt and learn new technologies and concepts.
- Hands on experience through coursework and/or internships.
- U.S. Citizenship and the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
Education: Progress towards Bachelors in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Arlington, VA
- Blacksburg, VA
- VA Greenbelt, MD
Systems Engineer Co-Op/Intern
Job Description/Requirements: Design, test, document, secure, deploy, and support leading edge technology solutions in areas such as cybersecurity, satellite ground systems, information management systems, cloud computing, and mobility. Work in a collaborative, team-oriented Agile software development environment.
- Familiarity with software development and/or scripting languages.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Hands-on experience through coursework and/or internships.
- U.S. Citizenship and the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Education: Progress towards Bachelors in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Systems Engineering.
- Arlington, VA
- Blacksburg, VA
- VA Greenbelt, MD
If you have questions about a co-op with Solers, we would be more than happy to talk with you. Please contact:
Greg Caufman, Director, Blackburg Operations
(540) 552-0419 x151