Resources for Guardians and Visitors

If accommodations are needed while visiting campus, please make prior arrangements by contacting the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) at 540-831-6350 or by email at


Radford University offers accommodations to parents and visitors for both fall and spring commencement ceremonies.

Deaf and Hard of Hearing

For accommodations for Deaf or Hard of Hearing individuals please contact the Coordinator for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services at 540-831-6350.


  • Accessible Parking for the Permanently Disabled: Obtain a Disabled Parking Placard from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • Accessible Parking for the Temporary Disabled (less than six weeks): Please contact parking services to obtain a Radford UniversityTemporary Disability Parking Permit at 540-831-6361 or visit Heth Hall, first floor. Employees and students must have already purchased a valid Radford University parking permit and submitted valid medical documentation.

Registration and Documentation FAQs

How do students receive services?

  1.  Complete the Student Registration form
  2.  Complete the Request for Accommodations (if seeking academic accommodations)
  3.  Submit both documents to the CAS office  
  4.  Schedule an interview with a Coordinator

The Coordinator may request additional documentation such as medical information, psychology reports, IEP's, or 504's, please have these documents prepared and/or submit with the other forms.

What role can I have in helping my student request accommodations from the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS)?
Laws for universities/colleges dictate a student who is 18 years old or older is legally recognized as an adult.  Parents and gaurdians should encourage their student to request accommodations.  The CAS staff are happy to discuss the process with parents, however, confidentiality laws prevent staff from discussing specific student information with parents unless the student has signed a FERPA release allowing us to speak with specific individuals, including parents. Students can change the status of a Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) form at any time.

Where and when should my student submit documentation to become registered with the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS)?

Students who have been admitted to Radford University are encouraged to send their CAS registration, request for accommodations and documentation, after April 1st, by one of four following ways:

  1.  Scan and email to
  2.  Submit in person in Russell Hall, Third Floor, Suite 325
  3.  Fax to 540-831-6525
  4.  Mail to PO Box 6902 Radford, Virginia 24142

Does my student need to submit new documentation every year?
No. Once a student is deemed eligible for accommodations, updated documentation is not necessary unless the the disability has changed and or if a student is seeking a change in accommodations. However, to receive accommodations each semester, students must complete a new Request for Accommodations Form each semester in which accommodations are being requested.

Transitioning from High School to College FAQs

My student was in a special education class (IDEA) or had a 504 Plan in high school. Is he/she automatically entitled to the same services that he/she received in high school?
The Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act are the primary laws that govern the procedures for post-secondary education. Universities/colleges ensure that a student does not encounter discrimination due to a disability, and provide reasonable accommodations that allow the student to fully participate in the university/college programs or classes. Direct 1:1 instruction, personal assistants, and individual education plans that fundamentally alter curriculum are not applied at the higher education level.

Will the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) seek out my student?
No.  In higher education, students must self-identify as a student with a disability by contacting CAS.   


Academic Accommodations FAQs

How are accommodations generated for students?
Reasonable academic accommodations are based on the nature of the disability and the impact of the disability on the academic environment. Accommodations are determined on an individual, case-by-case basis. Reasonable accommodations at the university/college level differ from those available to the student in high school. No accommodation should violate the technical standards of a course or program.

Are accommodations retroactive?
No. Accommodations are not retroactive. Students should work with their CAS Coordinator and the faculty member to put their accommodations in place prior to the start of the semester.

What if my student is not able to maintain a full time course load because of his/her disability?
The University standard for full-time is twelve (12) credit hours, or about 4 classes, per semester for undergraduate students and nine (9) credit hours per semester for graduate students. Radford University recognizes that some students may qualify for a reduced course load as an accommodation (meaning less classes, or below 12 credits, not less assignments within the classes). 

Students and parents should be aware that a reduced course load requires additional coordination of services and can impact the following:

  • Financial Aid
  • Health/Automobile Insurance
  • Eligibility for Athletics (See the NCAA guidelines)
  • University Billing
  • Progression towards degree completion

How does my student communicate his/her accommodation needs to professors?
It is encouraged that students should meet with professors during office hours to discuss the Accommodations Letter and the applicability of accommodations to the class. The student and professor will sign the Academic Accommodations Contract when all accommodations or alternate strategies are determined.  The contract is considered complete with signatures from both the professor and student. The white copy of the triplicate contract is returned to CAS.

My student’s accommodations are not being applied. What should my student do?
Students who are not receiving accommodations should contact CAS immediately. A Coordinator will assist students in resolving accommodation issues.

Will the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) provide my student with personal attendants or assistive equipment?
No. CAS does not provide personal attendants or equipment for personal use. 


Other FAQs

Can my student meet with someone from the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) when we are on campus for a tour or visit?
The CAS staff are happy to meet with any student to discuss the registration process. To set up a visit, contact the Center for Accessibility Services at 540-831-6350 (Phone) or 540-922-1176 (VP for ASL Users) to schedule an informational session. 

When on campus for QUEST seek out CAS a the various break out sessions and/or fairs.

Should my student disclose that they have a disability during the admission process?
Self-disclosure of a student’s disability is voluntary and in no way mandatory. 

Is it mandatory for a student to inform Radford University that he or she has a disability?
No. Disclosure of a disability is on a voluntary basis. However, a student cannot be found eligible for accommodations until he or she self discloses to CAS and completes the registration process.

Are there separate admission standards for students with disabilities?
No. A students living with a disability must meet the same admission standards as his or her peers.

Will it hurt my student’s case or help my student’s case to inform Admissions that I have a disability?
No. The Admissions Office evaluates student’s applications in the same manner that all applications are evaluated. For additional information about the college’s admission procedures visit Radford University Admissions website.

If my student is receiving accommodations at another college or university will they automatically receive accommodations at Radford University?
Not necessarily. Once admitted, students must self-disclose to CAS, and complete the process to becoming a registered student with the CAS before accommodations can be determined or applied.

Since the student is now in charge of his or her educational planning, what are some self-advocacy skills he or she should develop?

CAS strongly encourages students to develop these self-advocacy skills:

  • Understanding Your Disability: A student should be able to articulate what his or her disability is.
  • Communicating Disability: A student should also be able to describe how the disability limits his or her functioning (functional limitations). A student should also be able to express some ways that he or she could be accommodated.
  • Being Proactive: A student should provide acceptable documentation to the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) and complete a request for accommodations. A student should learn to work collaboratively with professors to ensure his or her success with the accommodations. A student should also be able to identify if his or her accommodations are not being met.

My student currently does not think he/she will need accommodations at the college level; however I fear they will be unsuccessful without them. What should we do?
Students may register at any time, however, CAS encourages students to register with the office prior to the beginning of the semester in the event that they would like to put their acccommodations in place. 

My student sustained a temporary injury. Are they eligible for services?
Temporary injuries or medical conditions may be eligible for temporary services through CAS.

FAQs in Collaboration with Other Departments

Is tutoring provided specifically for students with disabilities?CAS does not provide tutoring, if a student would like to recieve this type of service, they should visit the Highlander Knowledge Center (HKC), which is located at the libarary.

What should my student do if he/she has never received accommodations and we suspect he/she may have a disability?
A student who is experiencing challenges with learning in the classroom may contact CAS to schedule an appointment with a Coordinator.  If a student wishes to complete ability or achievement testing, they should contact The Center for Assessment and Psychological Services (CAPS), located at Suite 5201, CHBS on campus.  

What is the process for obtaining housing accommodations?
Once the student has completed the Housing and Residential Life process, a student should contact a CAS Coordinator.  Accommodations are determined on a case by case basis for Radford University on-campus housing only. 

Do you have designated parking for students with disabilities?
All students are required to purchase a Radford University student parking pass through Parking Services. Students with a state handicap placard from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can park in marked accessible spaces anywhere on campus.

How does my student request accommodations for a standardized exam offered by ETS or another outside testing agency?
Students should contact the testing agency regarding it's process for acquiring accommodations. Students taking a standardized exam that is not offered by ETS, should contact the testing agency to find out what information is necessary to apply for accommodations. 

How will my student get his/her prescription medication for ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc.?
The Radford transit is free for all Radford University students and has regular routes to various establishments where perscribed drugs can be obtained.