Student Resources

The following resources are available for students along with many other campus resources.


N.I.C.E. Club

This organization is open to any Radford University student who is interested in learning about disability, access, and inclusion.  

NICE Club stands for Nuerodiversity in College Excels and functions as a part of the Center for Accessibility Services.

Student Scholarship Opportunities

National Federation of the Blind of Virginia 2021 Scholarship Program

The NFB of Virginia is pleased to announce the launch of its James F. Nelson merit scholarship program for the academic year 2021-2022. Up to three scholarships of $1500.00 will be awarded based on academic achievement, community engagement, and leadership potential.

The NFB of Virginia believes that all blind and vision-impaired students who apply for a James F. Nelson scholarship can benefit from the experience of attending the State Convention. If the state convention is in-person, the NFBV will cover the reasonable costs associated with attending the convention for all eligible applicants, including a room at the hotel shared with a fellow scholarship applicant, most meals, the cost of registration, and a banquet ticket. Scholarship applicants should work with their local chapter to explore transportation options and should notify the scholarship committee if they encounter any difficulties. Convention related expenses will be reimbursed or covered by the affiliate at the convention. Please notify the committee if you do not have access to a credit card or other means of covering pre-convention costs. Applicants are expected to pre-register for the gathering to signal their intention to attend the state convention, and to assist the scholarship committee in making hotel reservations.

Eligibility - Applicants must:

• Be legally blind or have a visual impairment that qualifies them to receive services under IDEA or from a state vocational rehabilitation program

• Be a resident of Virginia, or attending an accredited institution of higher education in Virginia full-time

• Plan to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in the 2021-22 academic year

• Participate in the entire NFB of Virginia in-person or virtual State Convention, and in all scheduled scholarship program activities to be held October 28, to October 31, 2021

To submit an online application, please visit

CFSF Standard Scholarship

Application Due: TBD                                                 

Description: The program is available to those who will be enrolled in an undergraduate program or vocational school in the fall of 2020. Scholarships will be awarded based on a combination of financial need, academic achievement, and leadership. Both single-year and multi-year awards are made, generally for $1000 per year.                                     

Eligibility: Students enrolled in an undergraduate program or vocational school in fall 2020 with a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester.

Jill M. Balboni Memorial Scholarship                                               

Application Due: TBD                                             

Description: The Jill M. Balboni Memorial Scholarship is dedicated to the memory of Jill Marie Balboni who lost her life long battle with cystic fibrosis in July 2013 at the age of 36. One scholarship of $5,000 (for one year) will be awarded.                                                                           

Eligibility: Students with a minimum 3.2 GPA, minimum SAT score 1750 or minimum ACT score 25 are eligible.

The Boomer Esiason Foundation's General Academic Scholarship

Application Due: TBD

Description: Up to $5,000. Grants are awarded quarterly on the basis of demonstrated need and academic accomplishment. They are made directly to the academic institution to assist in covering the cosst of tuition and fees. This scholarship is for one year only.                                                                                                 

Eligibility: Letter from physician (on letterhead) confirming CF diagnosis and therapy routine. 

SERTOMA: Communicative Disorders Scholarship                         

Application Due: TBD                                                     

Description: This $1000 award is intended for graduate-level students.         

Eligibility: Students who are pursuing advanced degreed in speech language pathology or audiology are eligible. 

Lighthouse Guild Scholarship                                                                   

Application Due: TBD                                                       

Description: The Guild Sholar Program awards scholarships of up to $10,000 each to students who are legally blind.   

Eligibility: Incoming college students are eligible.

P. Buckley Moss Endowed Scholarship                                                       

Application Due: TBD                                                       

Description: $1,500 scholarships will be given to qualifying students with learning disabilities and who have artistic talent.

Eligibility: Incoming undergraduate students are eligible.

Team Type 1 Scholarships                                                                   

Application Due: TBD                                                     

Description: Students with Type 1 diabetes who are/will be attending an accredited NAIA & NCAA Institution and who compete in an NAIA & NCAA sport. Minimum GPA of 3.0.                                                               

Scholarship Amounts: 100 scholarships ranging from $500 to 5,000 with two $10,000 scholarships. 

Eligibility: Students with Type 1 diabetes

American Foundation for the Blind Scholarship

Application Due: TBD

Description: Awards ranging from $500 to $3,500 will be given to qualifying students who are legally blind. All of the following awards can be found on the AFB web application:

The Rudolph Dillman Memorial Scholarship: Four scholarships of $2,500 each to undergraduates or graduates who are studying full-time in the field of rehabilitation or education of persons who are blind and/or visually impaired.

The Paul and Ellen Ruckes Scholarship: Two scholarships of $2,000 each to a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in the field of engineering or in computer, physical, or life sciences.

The R. L.  Gillette, Gladys C. Anderson, and Karen K. Carsel Memorial Scholarship: One scholarship of $3,500 given to a female undergraduate student studying music.

The Delta Gamma Foundation Florence Margaret harvey Memorial Scholarship: One scholarship of $1,000 to an undergraduate or graduate student in the field of rehabilitation or education of persons who are blind or visually impaired. 

Eligibility: Undergraduate and graduate students. 

Nicholas J. Deleonardis Scholarship

Application Due: TBD

Description: this program provides $3,000 for students who are interested in noninvasive technology for deaf/hearing communication.

Eligibility: Undergraduate student, graduate student, permanent US residency, minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent) are eligible.

Hemophilia Federation of American Educational Scholarship

Application Due: TBD

Description: Two educational scholarships will be awarded in the amount of $2,000 each to students with a bleeding disorder.

Eligibility: Students seeking a post-secondary education with a bleeding disorder.

The PreJax Foundation Scholarship

Application Due: TBD

Description: The Prejax Foundation awards scholarships to students who either have been definitively diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) or have a parent with MS.

Eligibility: Current and upcoming full-time undergraduate students with MS or who has parents with MS. 

SERTOMA: Hard of Hearing or Deaf Scholarship

Application Due: TBD

Description: This $1,000 award is meant for students with bilateral hearing loss.

Eligibility: Undergraduate students pursuing a Bachelor's degree. Scholarship

Application Due: TBD

Description: A $500 award will be given twice annually to full-time students with physical disabilities.

Eligibility: Undergraduate students. 

CODA Scholarship

Application Due: TBD

Description: Three $1,000 awards will be given to students with spina biffida, transverse myelitis, or a spinal cord injury.

Eligibility: Full-time college students. 

CODA International Millie Brother Scholarship

Application Due: TBD

Description: The Millie Brother Scholarship is an annual scholarship awarded to hearing children of deaf adults to help them pursue their post-secondary education. The scholarship can be used for undergraduate or graduate study at any accredited institution of higher education in the world. On average two $3,000 scholarships are offered annually. These are one-time scholarships, but you may apply for as many years as you are in school. First-time winners will receive preference. Applicants may compete for both scholarships, but a separate essay is required for each submission. 

Eligibility: Applicants must be the hearing son or daughter of Deaf parents; students from any country in the world are eligible to apply, but application materials must be submitted in English. 

2021 AHEAD in Virginia Disability Student Scholarship

Application Due: March 19, 2021

Eligibility: a. One (1) $1,000 scholarship to a student enrolled in a program leading to an Asscoiate's Degree or less at any 2-year, community, or technical/vocational college in Virginia. 

                b. One (1) $1,000 scholarship to an undergraduate student enrolled in a program leading to a Bachelor's Degree at a private college or university in Virginia.

                c. One (1) $1,000 scholarship to an undergraduate student enrolled in a program leading to a Bachelor's Degree at a public college or university in Virginia. 

                d. One (1) $1,000 scholarship to a graduate student enrolled at any college or university in Virginia.     

Joseph Morelli Scholarship

Application Due: March 17, 2021

Description: Scholarships are awarded annually in the amount of $500 to $2500


    Applicants must be either a high school student or a post-high school student, who will be attending an accredited undergraduate school, technical school, or community college in the United States in the Fall of 2021.  Graduate students are not eligible.

    Applicants must be pursuing a degree in STEM field (science, technology, engineering, math)

    Applicants must have a demonstrated learning challenge (disability) of dyslexia or similar reading and/or language-based disability .

The National Federation of the Blind Scholarship

Application Due: March 31, 2021

Description: The National Federation of the blind is pleased to announce our 2021 scholarship program. We offer thirty scholarships to blind students from across the United States and Puerto Rico who will be enrolled in full-time post-secondary degree programs during the 2021-2022 school year. These scholarships range in value from $3000 to $12000 and will be awarded at our virtual 2021 National Convention.

ACCESS CAS Student Video Resources

How to setup an appointment with your CAS Coordinator within ACCESS CAS

How to register with CAS

How to submit a semester request within ACCESS CAS

How to submit a Test proctoring request within ACCESS CAS

How to upload notes within ACCESS CAS

How to view and sign an ACCESS plan within ACCESS CAS

How to view approved accommodations within ACCESS CAS

On Campus Resources

Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI)
157 Heth Hall
P.O. Box 6979
Radford, VA 24142

Student Counseling
Tyler Hall, Lower Level
P.O. Box 7023
Radford, VA 24142

Center for Assessment & Psychological Services (CAPS)
5201 CHBS Building
P.O. Box 6946
Radford, VA 24142

Speech/Hearing Clinic
Waldron Hall, First Floor
P.O. Box 7020, Jefferson Street
Radford, VA 24142

Student Recreation & Wellness
200 Jefferson St, Suite 205
PO Box 6895
Radford, VA 24142
Phone: 540-831-7164

Substance Abuse & Violence Education Support
Tyler Hall, Lower Levell
P.O. Box 7008
Radford, VA 24142

Student Health Services
Moffett Hall, Ground Floor
P.O. Box 6899
Radford, VA 24142

Career Services
Russell Hall 331
P.O. Box 6901
Radford, VA 24142

Student Activities
Bonnie Hurlburt Student center, Room 226
Phone: 540-831-5332

Harvey Center for Learning and Writing
McConnell Library, 4th Floor
P.O. Box 6977
Radford, VA 24142


Academic Success Center
Young Hall 3rd and 4th Floors
Radford University
Radford, VA 24142

Mobility Equipment Resources

Examples of mobility equipment include crutches, wheelchair, scooter/power chair, canes and walkers. Have a question about which mobility equipment is right for you? Be sure to ask a doctor's office, insurance, physical therapist or a friend.

Local Wheelchair Rental

  • Advanced Home Care Services

    707 Randolph Street,
    Radford, VA 24141

    48 W Main Street
    Christiansburg, VA 24703
  • Lincare Medical Supply

    1095 Radford Street
    Christiansburg, VA 24073
  • Rotech Healthcare

    1506 N. Franklin Street
    Christiansburg, VA 24073
    Available Equipment: Wheelchair Rental – Weekly/Monthly

Crutches Purchase

  • Walmart  (540) 731-3378

 7373 Peppers Ferry Blvd, Radford VA 24141

  • CVS  (540) 731-9533

31 W Main St, Radford VA 24141

  • Walgreens  (540) 381-9374

2460 N Franklin St, Christiansburg VA 24073

Scooter/Power Chair

Student FAQs


May I meet with someone from the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) when I am on campus for a tour or visit?
CAS is happy to meet with you to discuss the application for CAS services process and reasonable accommodations that would assist you if you chose to attend Radford University. Please call CAS at 540-831-6350 or email to schedule an informational session.

When on campus for QUEST attend the break out session with the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) or stop by the CAS table during the QUEST fair.

Should I disclose that I have a disability during the admission process?
Disclosing your disability is voluntary. Please note, if you disclose your disability during the admissions process, you will not automatically be registered for services through the CAS. To receive accommodations, please complete all necessary procedures for applying for services with CAS.

Are there separate admission standards for students with disabilities?
No. A student with a disability must meet the same admission standards.

Will it hurt my case or help my case to inform Admissions that I have a disability?
Admissions will evaluate your application in the same manner that all applications are evaluated. For additional information about the college’s admission procedures visit Radford University Undergraduate Academic Advising website.

If I am receiving accommodations at another college or university will I automatically receive accommodations at Radford University?
No. You must self-disclose to the CAS, complete the application for CAS services process, and engage in an interview with a CAS Access Specialist before accommodations can be provided.  Documentation can be requested, best practice would be to have the additional documentation regarding the disability available to be shared with the CAS Access Specialist.


Registration and Documentation

What documentation does the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) need?

At any point, a CAS Access Specialist can request documentation to determine eligibility for accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  This documentation must demonstrate that a qualified professional has established a formal diagnosis of a disability and that there is evidence of a substantial limitation in one or more major life activities. 

The Radford University Documentation Guidelines will satisfy the request for accommodations at Radford University, but may not guarantee accommodations at other universities or on standardized exams given by ETS.

Do I need to submit new documentation every year?

No. The only step a student needs to complete is the request for accommodations each semester. This informs the CAS Access Specialist of your new class schedule and that you would like to continue services.

By being approved for services through CAS, do I automatically get these services when taking standardized tests (GRE, Praxis, VCLA, etc.)?

No, to receive accommodations with standardized exams, the student must register with that testing company and complete their requirements to receive accommodations.

If I want my CAS related records shared with another provider, what should I do?

Requests for copies of documentation (medical records, IEPs, etc.), should be made in writing and shared with a CAS Access Specialist.

How long will my records be kept at CAS?

CAS will keep all records for three (3) years from the last date of service, after which the information will be destroyed, without further notification.  It is the student's responsibility to obtain a copy of the CAS file upon departure from Radford University.



Transitioning from High School to College

I was in a special education class (IDEA) or had a 504 Plan in high school. Am I automatically entitled to the same services that I received in high school?
The Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act are the primary laws that govern the procedures for post-secondary education. Universities/colleges must ensure that a student does not encounter discrimination due to a disability, and must provide reasonable accommodations that allow the student to fully participate in the university/college programs and/or classes. Special education classes, IEP’s, or 504 Plans are not developed at the university level.

If I am a student with a disability, will the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) seek me out to provide services like my counselors did in high school?
There is no special education at the university/college level. Universities cannot seek out students with disabilities. It is the student’s responsibility to seek out services.

What role can my parents have in helping me request accommodations from the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS)?
While the Center for Accessibility Services is happy to discuss concerns with your parents, please be aware that confidentiality laws prevent us from discussing specific information with parents, unless the student has signed a FERPA release allowing us to speak with your parents.

Radford University Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Policy [PDF]

CAS strongly encourages students to develop these self-advocacy skills.

  • Understanding Your Disability: A student should be able to articulate what his or her disability is.
  • Communicating Disability: A student should be able to describe how the disability limits their functioning (functional limitations). A student should be able to express some ways that they could be accommodated. 
  • Being Proactive: A student should provide acceptable documentation to the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) and complete an application for CAS services. A student shyould learn to work collaboratively with professors to ensure their success with the accommodations. A student should be able to identify if their accommodations are not being met and contact CAS in a timely manner to discuss. 

Academic Accommodations

What reasonable academic accommodations are available for students?
Reasonable academic accommodations are based on the nature of the disability and the impact of the disability on the academic environment. All accommodations are determined on an individual case-by-case basis. Reasonable accommodations at the university/college level may differ from those available to the student in high school. Accommodations are available to ensure access to the material and are not to fundamentally alter the content of the curriculum.

Are accommodations retroactive?
No. Accommodations are not retroactive. Students should work with their CAS Access Specialist and the faculty member to put their accommodations in place prior to the start of the semester.  

What if I need changes in my accommodations?
If at any time you feel you need additional or different accommodations, please schedule an appointment with your assigned CAS Access Specialist to discuss. You may be asked to provide additional documentation to support your request for new accommodations if the documentation on file does not support that request. If you are experiencing changes in the status of your disability, CAS may request updated documentation to better accommodate your changing needs.

What if I’m not able to maintain a full time course load because of my disability?
The University standard for full-time is tweleve (12) credit hours, or about 4 classes, per semester for undergraduate students and nine (9) credit hours per semester for graduate students.  Radford University recognizes that some students may qualify for a reduced course load as an accommodation (meaning less classes, or below 12 credits, not less assignments within the classes).

Students should be aware that a reduced course load requires additional coordination of services and could impact the following:

  • Financial Aid status
  • Health/Automobile Insurance
  • Eligibility for Athletics
  • University Billing
  • Progression towards degree completion

Is my disability information shared with my professors or other campus faculty/staff?
No. CAS maintains the security and confidentiality of all files. The information in your file is not shared with anyone unless you request and sign a CAS Student Release of Information form or self-disclose to your professor or campus faculty/staff.

How do I communicate my accommodation needs to professors if I am eligible?
It is encouraged that students meet with professors during office hours to discuss the Access Plan and the applicability of accommodations to the class.  The student and professor will agree upon appropriate accommodations and electronically sign the Academic Access Plan.

My instructor is not providing me with my accommodations. What should I do?
If you feel that you are not being afforded your accommodations, and you have already had a discussion with your instructor to try and resolve the issue, please set up an appointment to meet with your CAS Access Specialist.

Do you offer closed captioning services and/or do you have sign language interpreters?
Sign Language Interpreters and closed captioning services are available. Please contact the CAS Coordinator for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services for more information.

Will the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) provide me with personal attendants or equipment?
CAS does not provide personal attendants or equipment for personal use. 

General Questions

Where do students with disabilities receive academic advising?
The Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) does not provide academic advising or assist with course scheduling.  Academic advising is available to all students through the advising centers within his/her specific college. 

Please visit the Radford University Undergraduate Academic Advising website to locate contact information for your specific college advising center.

Is tutoring provided specifically for students with disabilities?
CAS does not provide tutoring, if a student would like to recieve this type of service, they should visit the Harvey Center for Learning and Writing which is located on the fourth floor of McConnell Library.

What should I do if I have never received accommodations and suspect I have a disability?
If you suspect you have a disability that is impacting your academic performance, please contact CAS at 540-831-6350 to schedule an appointment with a CAS Access Specialist. 

The Center for Assessment and Psychological Services (CAPS) located at CHBS 5201 (5th floor) on campus can provide full scale testing. 

A list of additional agencies that conduct testing in the community is also available.

What is the process for obtaining housing accommodations?
Once a student has completed the Housing and Residential Life process, a student should contact a CAS Access Specialist.  Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis for Radford University on-campus housing only. 

Do you have designated parking for persons with disabilities?
All students are required to purchase a Radford University student parking pass through Parking and Transportation.  Students with a state handicap placard from the Department of Motor Vehickles (DMV) can park in marked accessible spaces anywhere on campus. 

Please contact Parking and Transportation for more information about parking regulations and policies.

I sustained a temporary injury. Am I eligible for services?
Students with temporary injuries or medical conditions are eligible for temporary services through the CAS. Please contact the office to set up an appointment with a CAS Access Specialist.

I am currently undergoing testing to determine if I have a diagnosis of a learning disability, ADHD, etc.  Can I receive services during the interium?
If you are currently undergoing testing, please set up an appointment to discuss eligibility for provisional accommodations. Provisional accommodations are granted on a case-by-case basis and are good for one semester at Radford University.

How do I request accommodations for a standardized exam offered by ETS or another outside testing agency?
Each testing agency has their own process for requesting accommodations. Please contact the testing agency to find out what information is necessary to apply for accommodations. 

How will I get my prescription medication for ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc.?
The Radford Transit is free for all Radford University students and has regular routs to various establishments where prescribed drugs can be purchased.

What are the most important factors for a student with a disability to succeed in college?
The university/college setting is challenging, and it can be even more demanding for a student with a disability. It is important that you create an academic plan with your advisor that best fits you. Seek accommodations for your disability early. Even if you think you may not use your accommodations, it is best to go ahead and complete the registration process and get your accommodation paperwork in place should you need to use them.  At the college level, it is up to you how and when to use your accommodations.

What are some strategies I can use to advocate for myself?
The first step is to know yourself, including your strengths, weaknesses, and what type of accommodations you need. Have a goal and a plan of action to obtain that goal. Obtain assistance from a mentor or other persons whom you could use as a resource. Learn what resources are available on campus by reviewing websites, and attending information fairs. If you do not know something, ask for help.

If I become a registered student with the CAS will it show up on my academic record?
No. The Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) adheres to the laws governing confidentiality.