CAS Students at RUC
Radford University Carilion supports students with disabilities with the same services that Radford University students receive on main campus.
Mary Francis is Radford University Carilion’s Coordinator of Student Wellness. She works with the RUC students with disabilities, and the RUC faculty to determine what accommodations may be appropriate based on a student’s need. Mary is equipped to support students with accessible technology and equipment is onsite for students. Mary’s contact information is email@example.com
Students that are attending RUC will register with CAS offices, request semester Access Plans, schedule appointments with the Coordinator of Student Wellness, and submit housing accommodations through the online system ACCESS CAS.
The RUC Testing Center provides test proctoring and accommodations to RUC CAS students. Testing reservations are currently made through Starfish or contacting the firstname.lastname@example.org .
Regular meetings and discussions with both CAS and RUC CAS staff provide for unified services and programming for students with disabilities.
Unless otherwise stated, the information found on this website is meant to be used by students and faculty at both locations.
Coordinator of Student Wellness for RUC and RHEC
- Radford University Carilion (RUC)
- Roanoke Higher Education Center
- All Majors
- All Disabilities
CAS Students who are requesting accommodations for the current semester, agree and understand the following regarding the receiving and use of accommodations.
It is understood:
- Each semester, the student will submit a request to use their accommodations through the CAS online system, ACCESS CAS.
- The student is responsible for contacting each instructor to schedule a time to meet and discuss semester accommodations in a timely manner. (We ask students to meet with professors/instructors as part of learning to be a self-advocate, but at any time, the student or faculty would like an access specialist from CAS to attend the meeting with them we would certainly be part of the process.)
- Once student meets with Instructor(s), discusses the accommodations, and agree, both student and instructor must electronically sign the Access Plan
- Accommodations are not in place until BOTH the student and the instructor have met and agreed to the accommodations and e-signed the Access Plan.
- Accommodations are not retroactive, but can be requested at any time in the semester, and for any course type.
- All materials acquired through accommodations are for the student's use only. Students will not copy, duplicate, distribute or alter the materials received. This includes any type of recordings and/or class transcripts.
- CAS approved accommodations remove barriers to learning and are required.
- Instructors may provide additional accommodations, but these would not be viewed as “required”.
- If it is determined that a student is using an accommodation inappropriately (i.e. sharing audio recordings with others) the accommodation can and may be revoked for the rest of the semester for a course. The student would be notified if such actions were being considered.
- Students are qualified for accommodations based on best practices, a student interview and supporting documentation. The Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) accepts COPIES of documentation only (no originals). Under some circumstances, students understand they may be required to submit additional documentation to support requests.
- If at any time a student feels he/she may need additional/new or modified accommodations the student should schedule an appointment with their CAS Access Specialist to discuss.
- Accommodations and services are made available by following CAS policies and procedures.
For questions about ACCESS CAS or CAS services, please contact CAS at 540-831-6350, email@example.com or stop by the CAS office at 325 Russell Hall.
- RUC Counseling and Wellness
- RUC Health Services
- RUC Library
Monday -Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday - 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: CLOSED
Virtual library assistance is available during regular hours and at other times by prior arrangement.
- RUC Academic Support Services
- RUC Student Affairs