What is the Peer Health Educator Organization?
Students play a uniquely effective role - unmatched by professional educators - in encouraging their peers to consider, talk honestly about, and develop responsible habits and attitudes toward the use or non-use of alcohol and other student health and safety issues, including sexual assault, impaired driving, sexual responsibility, and tobacco prevention. We support those students in the majority who are making responsible decisions in regards to their health.
Peer Health Educators are advised by the Radford University Health Educator, Jordan McCann and is funded by student activity fees. Radford University's Peer Health Educators are part of the national BACCHUS Peer Education Network. At Radford University, Peer Health Educator events include:
- Clothesline Project
- Alcohol Awareness Week
- Sexual Responsibility Week
- Safe Spring Break
For more information contact Abbie Meier at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is a Peer Health Educator?
Peer Health Educators are students who have been trained in a variety of health/wellness and social issues affecting Radford University students. They provide educational programs for other groups of students, including mocktails and sexual assault programs, in an informal environment conducive to exchange and open communications. As a member of the Peer Health Educators, you will have several responsibilities which are outlined below. It is important to be aware of the level of commitment that is necessary in order to perform well in this role. It is important for peers to see you demonstrating in daily life the messages that you are trying to convey through programs.
- To promote awareness and responsible behavior on a variety of health/wellness and social issues affecting Radford University students.
- To attend all training sessions and meetings.
- To be a role model for your peers.
- Develop creative educational programs and assist in organizing and implementing awareness days and theme weeks.
- Experience as a group facilitator and educator.
- Leadership opportunities in BACCHUS.
- Knowledge and training on current topics affecting university students.
- You will be providing a needed service while having fun.
- Looks good on a resume!