Veterans and Dependents
The University Registrar's Office provides information for all veteran benefits and their dependents. We process all official certification of enrollment and program changes to the Department of Veterans Affairs in Buffalo, N.Y. Please contact our office if you have any questions.
PROCEDURE FOR PAYMENT DEFERMENT FOR CHAPTER 33 POST 9/11 GI BILL DEPENDENTS
In view of the large number of dependent applications received by Veterans Affairs (VA) under the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, and the potential for delays in the receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) forms, Radford University will defer payment and waive late fees for fall Semester or the spring semester upon the presentation of the following documents:
- Screenshot of the DOD Transferability of Education Benefits (TEB) website showing a Request Approved status.
- Copy of the dependent’s submitted VA Form 22-1990E, Application for Transfer of Entitlement (TOE).
This documentation must be submitted to the Student Accounts Office, Box 6922, Radford, VA 24142. Documentation may also be submitted by fax to (540) 831-5501 or as an email attachment to email@example.com. The Student Accounts Office will then notify the Registrar's Office.
Payment of in-state tuition and fees will be deferred to 45 days after payment deadline. This does not include any fees associated with out-of-state cost or room and board. The deferment may be extended another 30 days upon written request or email sent to the contact information above with an update on the status of the application.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR POST 9/11 GI BILL (CHAPTER 33) BENEFITS
Application Procedures for Post 9/11 Chapter 33 GI Bill:
- Individuals may apply for benefits under the Post-9/11(CH33) GI Bill online through the GI Bill website using Form 22-1990.
- Once approved for CH33 benefits you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Please submit a copy of this COE to the Office of the Registrar.
Application Procedures for Transferring Post 9/11 Chapter 33 benefits to dependents:
- Please visit the GI Bill website for instructions on how to transfer Post 9/11 CH33 benefits to a spouse or dependents.
- Once approved for transfer of CH33 benefits through the DOD, and a dependent child or spouse has applied and been approved for benefits using form 22-1990E, he/she will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs in his/her name. Please submit a copy of this COE to the Office of the Registrar.
VETERAN'S CHOICE ACT-SECTION 702 INFORMATION
To qualify for the Veteran’s Choice Act – Section 702 and be eligible for instate tuition rates at Radford University, you must qualify as a covered individual. A covered individual is defined in the Choice Act as:
- A Veteran who lives in the state where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
- An individual using transferred benefits who lives in the state in where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
- An individual using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state in where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the Servicemember’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
A person described above will retain covered individual status as long as he/she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between terms) at the public IHL.
The in-state tuition provisions in Section 702 do not apply to those on active duty or to students using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits from a Servicemember still on active duty.
Please visit the GI Bill website for more information regarding the Choice Act.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR POST 9/11 GI BILL (CHAPTER 33) YELLOW RIBBON BENEFITS
Radford University will offer the Yellow Ribbon Program to 2 Undergraduate and 2 Graduate Students beginning with the 2016-17 academic. The total funds allocated by Radford University for each academic year will be $1,000.00 per student ($500.00 per semester fall/spring). The Department of Veteran’s Administration will match the contribution made by Radford University.
In order to submit an application for the Yellow Ribbon Program at Radford University you must meet the following criteria:
• Must be 100% eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) and submit a Certificate of
Eligibility (COE) showing this benefit.
• Must not be on active duty.
• Must be charged out-of-state tuition and not covered under The Choice Act Section 702 for
in-state tuition rates.
• Must be in good academic standing.
• Must be enrolled in a VA approved degree seeking program.
• Must remain continuously enrolled with no break in enrollment (with the exception of the
summer and the Wintermester sessions).
Yellow Ribbon Applications for the 2016-17 Academic Year will be accepted beginning Friday, July 1, 2016 until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 8, 2016. Application: Radford University Yellow Ribbon Program Application for the 2016-17 Academic Year
Yellow Ribbon Information through the GI Bill website:
Gail Wright is the primary veterans information contact person in the Registrar's Office. She can be reached during our regular office hours at:
Phone: (540) 831-6131
Fax: (540) 831-6642
Transferring Military Service and Training
Radford University will consider for transfer credit only those credits earned from a regionally accredited college or university as recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), as well as military service at levels consistent with the American Council on Education (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services. For additional information, please visit our Transfer Information webpage.