Transfer Information

Policy on Transfer Credits
To encourage the transfer of students from the Virginia Community College system to Radford University, the State Policy on Transfer has been embraced by Radford University effective Fall 1993. Students admitted to Radford who have earned an appropriate Associate Degree from a Virginia Community College based on a baccalaureate-oriented sequence of courses, will be considered to have satisfied Radford's Core Curriculum requirements. The transfer degrees accepted as satisfying Core Curriculum at Radford University are the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and the Associate of Arts and Science.  Students who have earned an Associate of General Studies will satisfy RU’s Core Curriculum requirements if the institution awarding the degree has been approved by SCHEV as satisfying the State Policy on Transfer.  A list of approved institutions is found under the Related Documents section on the SCHEV website.  For those students who earned an Associate of General Studies at an institution not on the list of approved institutions, a course-by-course transfer credit evaluation will be performed. 

Transfer students must have at least an overall 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade point average on all work attempted to be considered for admission. Only courses passed with a grade of “C” or higher will be considered for transfer credit. Grades of “C-” or lower are not accepted. Radford University does not give transfer credit for courses taken as Pass/Fail. No fewer than 30 credit hours must be taken at Radford University to be eligible for graduation. At least 50 percent of the credit hours required for a major or minor must be taken at Radford University. A minimum of 120 credit hours are required for graduation.

Transcripts to be evaluated for transfer credit for new or prospective students who have applied for admission to Radford University should be sent to the Admission's Office. Questions may be directed to that office at (540) 831-5371 or

Transcripts to be evaluated for transfer credit for continuing students should be sent to the Registrar's Office.

All transfer credit evaluations are performed by the Registrar's Office.  Questions concerning transfer credit evaluations may be directed to our office at (540) 831-5271 or

For information concerning specific courses that transfer to Radford University from the Virginia community college system, the Virginia Community College Transfer Guide (PDF) is available to view online.

To see how your credits will transfer in to Radford University, and apply to your degree requirements, use Transfer Equivalency Self-Service.

Virginia community college students completing the TRANSFER MODULE will receive credit toward the completion of Radford's Core Curriculum requirements. Only courses in which a grade of "C or above" earned will be considered for transfer credit.  Courses with grades of "C- or below" earned will not transfer to Radford University.

Transferring Military Service and Training

Radford University will consider for transfer credit only those credits earned from a regionally accredited college or university as recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), as well as military service at levels consistent with the American Council on Education (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services.

Any Veteran or Active Military student who would like to have their completed military service and training evaluated for possible transfer credit must do the following:

Prospective Students:
Prospective Veteran students must work directly with an Admissions Transfer Counselor if they wish to obtain information on how their JST credits/service may transfer to Radford University.  Students are required to submit their JST using the online delivery method through the JST portal.  Once their JST is received an unofficial estimate of possible credit hours will be determined.  An official evaluation will be conducted after a student’s admission has been finalized and more specific information regarding how the course(s) will transfer can be given.

Admitted Students for Future Semesters:
Veteran students who have applied to Radford University for any future term(s) must submit their JST using the online submission method through the JST portal.  Once the JST has been received and admission is finalized, the Office of Admissions Transfer Team will work directly with the Registrar’s Office to evaluate military credits/service based upon ACE recommendations.  All matching recommendations will earn only non-specific elective credits.  After matriculation, students may appeal any elective credits received through the JST Evaluation Appeal process.

Current Students:

Current students, who submitted their JST transcript prior to Spring 2017, that would like to have it reviewed under the new JST evaluation process, may contact Sarah Fowler in the Office of the Registrar via email at

JST Transfer Evaluation Appeal:
Any Veteran or Active Military student who has matriculated and received transfer credits from their JST, who wishes to appeal the elective credits for more specific course credit must do the following:

1.  Obtain the ACE Course Exhibit for specific service and/or training listed on your JST that you wish to appeal.  ACE Course Exhibits can be obtained using the ACE Military Tool.  Simply enter the ACE Identifier form your JST in the ACE ID Number search field, then click search.

2.  Deliver the ACE Course Exhibits and (JST) Joint Services Transcript Evaluation Forms to the appropriate academic departments for transfer credit evaluation, e.g., biology related service or training should be submitted to the Biology department, health and wellness related service or training should be submitted to the Health and Human Performance department, military science related service or training should be submitted to the ROTC Office, etc., for review.

3.  Submit the completed JST Transfer Evaluation Appeal form to the Office of the Registrar.  Transfer credit will be awarded based on the determination of the appropriate department chair or school director.

If you have any questions, please contact Sarah Fowler (, 540-831-5272).