Residency Requirements

Applying for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates

New undergraduate or New Freshman:

Undergraduate Admissions Office, Martin Hall, (540) 831-5371

Currently enrolled undergraduate students:

University Registrar’s Office, 105 Heth Hall, (540) 831-5271

New graduate students:

Graduate College Office, (540) 831-5431

Currently enrolled graduate students:

University Registrar’s Office, 105 Heth Hall, (540) 831-5271

Currently enrolled undergraduate students who have had a change in their residency status may be eligible to qualify for Virginia residency and receive in-state tuition rates.  All applicants must fill out a Virginia residency application (PDF), which is also available for pick-up in the Registrar's Office.

Once the application is received, there are several sources of documentation which may be required to prove your status.  Some of these documents may be:

  • Evidence that domicile is not for educational purposes only
  • Virginia state tax returns
  • Virginia driver’s license
  • Virginia voter registration
  • Virginia vehicle registration
  • Written reasoning from the applicant as to why Virginia domicile is evident
  • Clear and convincing evidence that Virginia domicile has been established and that any other state domicile has been abandoned.

Documentation will be requested as deemed necessary by the domicile coordinator and will vary with individual cases.  For continuing students, supporting documentation is required with the application.

Granting of in-state tuition rates is not retroactive. The initial application must be received prior to the beginning of classes for the semester in which the rate change will be effective.

If you need further assistance or help, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (540) 831-5271 or