Communication and Media Studies 235
COMS 235: Writing for Public Relations
Prerequisites: COMS 225 or permission of the instructor
Credit hours (3)
Detailed Description of Course
Provides students with the theory and technical knowledge necessary to produce messages as professional communicators. Students will develop skills in a variety of writing formats and learn to utilize desktop publishing and graphics software in the production of messages.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
This course meets in a computer lab and is comprised of lectures, discussions and in-class and group writing assignments. Students will also complete out of class writing assignments.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
By completion of the course students will:
1) Understand the nature and purpose of a variety of key public relations documents
2) Produce written documents essential to the public relations industry
3) Critically analyze written public relations documents
4) Write more clearly and professionally
5) Create a professional portfolio
In addition to exams and quizzes students will complete a variety of writing assignments such as media releases, business letters and memos, Public Service Announcements and fact sheets; create a professional portfolio; complete a mass media project; and participate in a team presentation.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
April 19, 2016