Exercise, Sport and Health Education 358
ESHE 358: Technology for Exercise, Sport and Health Education
Prerequisites: ESHE major and junior standing; minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
Credit Hours: (3) Two hours lecture, two hours laboratory
Students shall acquire the knowledge and skills to understand and use "high tech" exercise equipment, personal computer, related software, and main frame systems employed in commercial fitness/wellness centers, hospitals, and education centers.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
Course designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills to apply the use of computers and related technology necessary to be current in the field of exercise, sport and health education. This course will include:
1. Application and refinement of knowledge and skills of computer applications within the context of exercise, sport and health education.
2. Main frame computer applications. These systems are employed in most fitness facilities, wellness centers, hospitals, and educational settings.
3. Integration of hi-tech exercise equipment with computer applications. Students will become knowledgeable as to proper use, advantages, limitations and other issues.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Application and refinement of knowledge and skills of computer applications within the context of exercise, sport and health education.
1. Advanced skill development in the are of electronic publishing to develop newsletters, handouts, flyers and other educational and promotional materials.
2. Implementation of advanced spreadsheet functions to solve problems in exercise, sport and health education budgeting and accounting.
3. Advanced database instruction for use in storage of client profiles and data queries.
4. Retrieval of reputable, peer-reviewed data from "on-line" services and libraries to access information specific to wellness and health promotion programs.
5. Practice in the development and delivery of formal health and fitness multimedia presentations to clients.
6. Application of exercise, sport and health education software in the context of a wellness program.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
1. Develop comprehensive reports using health and fitness client information that can be obtained from spreadsheets, databases and other resources.
2. Develop informational flyers, handouts, newsletters and other educational materials.
3. Produce resource material using the information from multimedia resources.
4. Produce resource materials using information from the Internet/World Wide Web and on-line library resources.
5. Demonstrate with accuracy the operation of an automatic system.
6. Demonstrate how information from a main frame system can be used.
7. Demonstrate the operation, proper use, maintenance, advantage, and dangers of new "hi-tech" equipment.
Reports using sample data, demonstration of the skill developed to use the computer, and written examination on the knowledge of the specific objective.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
Revised September, 2009