Radford University named a 2022-2023 College of Distinction
Radford University has been named a College of Distinction for 2022-2023 for its commitment to empowering students’ success through engagement, innovation and support as they follow their educational paths.
In addition, Radford University was named one of the best public schools in the state and one of the best overall in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Radford’s academic programs in business, education and nursing were also singled out for individual recognition, along with student support services for career development and military support.
“Being recognized nationally as a College of Distinction again highlights our faculty and staff’s dedication to providing Highlanders with innovative, student-centered education,” said Radford University interim President Carolyn Ringer Lepre, Ph.D. “These accolades are a testament to the passion that our community has for preparing students to succeed on campus and beyond for years to come.”
Colleges of Distinction is a trusted, unique resource for guidance counselors, parents, students and hundreds of colleges and universities across the country, helping students find the right college to meet their educational and career goals.
The organization relies on more than just an overview of institutional data, statistics and endowment size. The Colleges of Distinction selection process comprises a sequence of in-depth research and detailed interviews with the schools, accepting only those that adhere to four distinctions: engaged students, great teaching, vibrant community and successful outcomes. Founder Wes Creel created Colleges of Distinction to draw more attention to schools like Radford University, where student success and satisfaction are primary goals, and student-centered education prevails while fostering a dynamic learning community.
“When we focus all of our attention on how schools stack up against one another, we lose track of what really matters, which are the students themselves,” said Creel. “Every student has individual needs and their own environment in which they’re most likely to thrive. We want to extend our praise to the schools that prioritize and cater to students’ goals.”
Radford University’s inclusion is informed by the unique ways it commits to achieving success through empowering students from diverse backgrounds by providing transformative educational experiences.
Creel continued, “We’re inspired by the ways in which Radford University immerses students in their fields, all while fostering a welcoming community that will support them through and beyond their college years.”
In addition to the institution-wide recognition, Colleges of Distinction also highlighted several academic programs and student services at Radford University for their excellence. Among the markers of quality that each program or service had to meet were stability, accreditation, practical experience opportunities, collaborative learning experiences, courses in ethics, high-impact practices, industry connections to help build professional relationships and multidisciplinarity, or offering multiple majors and minors to meet the diverse needs of students.
The academic programs recognized by Colleges of Distinction were:
- The undergraduate business program, which excels at graduating students into the workforce with solid, well-developed critical thinking skills as well as the ability to adapt to an ever-changing society.
- The undergraduate education program, which delivers leading-edge undergraduate education programs as education transforms alongside constant changes in technology, public policy, employer demands, and more.
- The undergraduate nursing program, which prepares its students to excel and take action in high-pressure situations and challenges them to remain curious and compassionate throughout their rigorous careers.
The student services recognized by Colleges of Distinction were:
- Career development, which is well-equipped to help students graduate with confidence through offering comprehensive four-year plans, advising and more.
- Military support, which provides personal and academic support for the unique challenges veterans and active military personnel face, helping these students overcome obstacles and achieve success.
To see Radford University’s full profile and the recognition received, visit the Colleges of Distinction website.