Radford University students and staff recognized with 2021 Western Virginia Advertising Awards
Radford University graphic design students and members of the University Relations staff were recognized for outstanding work during the 2021 Western Virginia Advertising Awards Gala in February.
The awards, dubbed “Addys,” were presented virtually from Roanoke due to the global COVID pandemic and recognized the best advertising over the last year in the western part of the Commonwealth. The 2021 competition had 95 professional entries from 23 agencies, firms, in-house creatives and individuals, as well as 67 student entries from colleges and universities across the region.
Winners from Radford University’s 2020-2021 Student Graphic Design Show were entered into the Addy Award competition, and several graphic design students were honored.
- The Student Best of Show Award and a Gold Addy were presented to Austin Marcus Greene for “Paula Scher Homage,” a poster design.
- The Student Judges Choice Award and a Silver Addy went to Lauren Renee Slough for “Slough Portfolio Artbook,” a graphic design portfolio.
- Brooke Gorman was presented with a Gold Addy for the packaging design, “Olive Garden,” and a Gold Addy for “Krueger & Toll,” a visual identity booklet.
- Lauren Renee Slough was presented with a Silver “Addy for Mutt Brewing Co.,” a print guide to brewing process and specifications.
- Justin Creasy received a Silver Addy for the illustration, “Creativity in the Wild.”
“Continuing our student exhibitions through the Covid era this past year has been challenging, and I’m thrilled to see that the Roanoke AAF did such a great job presenting the Addys online,” said Ken Smith, M.F.A., Radford University associate professor of graphic design. “I’m doubly thrilled to see that our students’ outstanding work was recognized in such a prominent fashion this year.”
These student projects, along with others from Radford graphic design students, can be viewed on the 2020-2021 Radford University Student Graphic Design Show webpage.
In addition, members of the University Relations staff were recognized with a Gold Addy for the Radford University Brand Guide. All gold award entries will be submitted to American Advertising Federation’s District 3 for further competition.