Realism is at the heart of our Emergency Services program. When emergencies happen, first responders are on the front lines providing care, managing crises, and rescuing those in need. With Carilion Clinic, students prepare to face these challenges in a variety of professions on the entry and management levels.
Select a Track That Works for You
Radford University Carilion offers two tracks in our Emergency Services program so you can match your education to your career goals:
Paramedic/Critical Care (on-campus)
This track prepares students for advanced patient care methodologies within the critical care ground and air transport environment. This track also prepares the student for entry-level management and leadership positions in non-fire service-based EMS agencies. Graduates will be eligible to sit for the national paramedic certification exam and specialty critical care certifications.
Degree Completion (100% online)
This track is designed for students already working in the emergency services field to complete a bachelor’s degree.
Why Study Emergency Services at Radford?
- Carilion Clinic: As a student at Radford University Carilion, you will be part of a healthcare clinic that employs nearly 14,000 healthcare professionals and has facilities that span over 200 miles. You will have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities and national leaders in all areas of healthcare practice and administration.
- Paramedic certification in 3 years: We are currently the only bachelor’s degree program that offers initial paramedic in 2 tracks and certification after 3 years, which allows you to start working in the field sooner.
Considering a career in emergency services? This program can jumpstart your professional life and will help you stand out competitively among peers when applying for jobs.
- Nationally, emergency services professions are expected to grow 24% by 2024
- Above average graduation rate
- 100% national certification rate
- 100% employment upon or close to graduation
We have a full-scale ambulance simulator parked right in the classroom. Realistic education sessions help you learn the right way, in real-time from the start. From your first day, you are engrossed in a hands-on learning environment that includes 700 hours of clinical and field time. What’s more, you’ll touch more than 10,000 real patients during your time at Radford University Carilion.
- Must be 18 years of age or older prior to the start of the second semester
- Must have current Virginia EMT-Basic certification (reciprocity is available from other states) prior to the start of the second semester
- Fire Track Only - Must have current Virginia FF II certification (reciprocity is available from other ProBoard states) prior to the start of the fourth semester
Learn from people actually doing the job
Evidence-based learning. You’ll learn from people on the front lines. Radford University Carilion’s entire curriculum is evidence-based—our faculty teach things they did last night in the field because our entire faculty still works in emergency services.