A degree in communication at Radford University will prepare you to develop special knowledge and skills in regard to conflict, relationships, public relations, political campaigns, and more. Our concentrations are Public Relations and Communication Studies. Majors choose one of these to pursue as a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.
Communication Studies Concentration
The Communication Studies concentration prepares students through courses that combine material from the humanities, fine arts, and social sciences in order to explain how and why people interact in the ways that they do. Students in the Communication Studies concentration will study the ways that people use communication in public life, politics, and social movements.
Public Relations Concentration
The concentration in Public Relations prepares students for positions as professional communicators by providing a combination of technical communication skills and theoretic knowledge necessary to make them competitive for entry-level public relations positions.
Why study Communication at Radford?
- You’ll get unique, hands-on experience with our Social Media Analytics and Research Technology lab.
- You’ll get to craft your skills by creating a usable public relations campaign for a local company.
- You get to complete a required Capstone project senior year that prepares you for the start of your career.
- 1-6 credit internship in a related field required.
- An opportunity for an optional international semester in France.
- Possible student media involvement to help build experience
- Work study positions available
- SMART Lab research projects
- National conference research presentations (NCA, VACAS, ECA, SCA, PRSA)
Study abroad in Lille, France
Radford University School of Communication and the Institut des Stratégies et Techniques de Communication (ISTC) in vibrant and dynamic Lille, France will be partnering together to offer a study abroad partnership for our students. Located only one hour north of Paris, ISTC is a communication-specific college that has been training communication professionals since 1991.