Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship
OURS Outstanding Mentor Award
Nominate a mentor with the link here!
The Office of Undergraduate Research & Scholarship (OURS) recognizes the pivotal role of faculty mentors in providing transformative learning opportunities to our undergraduate students through research and creative inquiry. The OURS Outstanding Mentor Award recognizes demonstrated excellence in mentoring and supporting undergraduate researchers. This is a yearly award announced as part of the Student Engagement Forum. All undergraduate student nominations will be shared with their mentors after awards are announced in the spring.
Previous Award Winners: 2022
Learn more about these amazing faculty by clicking on their photographs!
To be considered for the Outstanding Undergraduate Research Mentor Award, a mentor must demonstrate commitment to the following criteria:
- Student Development: The faculty mentor challenges students to develop the ability to become more independent scholars by being available, attentive, encouraging, and understanding.
- Creating Opportunities: The faculty mentor supports students in developing and leveraging both technical and transferable interpersonal skills.
- Dissemination: The faculty mentor provides students with the transformative opportunity to understand the field and the broader impact of their work through the sharing of their results in presentations, demonstrations, performances, and/or publications.
- Equity and Inclusion: The faculty mentor creates a safe, ethical research environment that is supportive of students from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Career Development: The faculty mentor provides professional connections both on and beyond campus as well as guidance on pursuing career goals, including applying to internships, jobs, and/or graduate programs.
1. Nomination must be completed by 5:00 pm, Wednesday, March 15th.
- 2. The nominator must be a current undergraduate student at Radford University.
- 3. The mentor must be a full-time faculty mentor (this includes T&R and AP faculty) from any department at Radford University.
- 4. The mentor must have at least one year of experience mentoring undergraduate research students.
- 5. The mentor must not have previously won the award (previous winners are Drs. Sarah Foltz, Maggie Pate, Chet Bhatta, & David Sallee).
To nominate a faculty member, please complete the form here in its entirety. If you have any questions regarding this form, please email the OURS office at email@example.com or visit us in Whitt 118.