College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Master of Science in Nursing Administration
- Physician Assistant
- Doctor of Health Sciences
- English Graduate Programs
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- Counselor Education
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration
- M.S. in Strategic Communication
- Teacher Education & Leadership
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Health Sciences Dual Degree Track (MS to DHSC)
- MFA in Studio Art
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master's Degrees in Music
- Master of Social Work
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- MFA in Design Thinking
- M.S. in Athletic Training
Prepare for your career.
The Master of Science in Strategic Communication degree allows Radford University students to prepare for many advanced career positions or for the pursuit of a doctoral degree. Explore courses in public relations, political communication, pedagogy and instruction, training and development, interactive media and analytics and more.
The strategic communication curriculum has a broad approach to allow students to learn multiple communication tactics. Students can take specialized classes to develop their skills in areas such as video production and social media and analytics. The 36 credit hour program allows full time students to complete the coursework in two years while working professionals can still easily manage to take one to three courses throughout the year while continuing their career.
Why choose Radford?
Expand job opportunities
Prepare for a career in public relations, strategic communications, corporate training, management and a variety of others.
Various assistantships available including Graduate Assistant, Graduate Research Fellow and Graduate Teaching Assistant.
Jumping into your career or planning to get a doctoral degree? Choose between a non-thesis or a thesis track.
Succeed in your field.
The Communication master's program prepared me for my career. I worked for two national-level athletic reporting organizations, giving me valuable experience as a reporter. Radford’s state-of-the-art facilities boosted my own education as well as benefited me as a graduate teaching fellow."
Learn within state-of-the-art facilities.
The School of Communication is located within the brand new College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences (CHBS) building, a 143,600 square-foot home to unique learning spaces including:
- Broadcasting studio
- Emergency operations center
- Social media watch center
Choose a course of study.
Students may choose one of two courses of study:
NON-THESIS OPTION (36 SEMESTER HOURS)
The non-thesis option is for students not planning on pursuing a doctoral degree. Non-thesis students, in addition to completing 18 hours of required classes, must complete 18 hours of electives as approved by their advisers. Students pursuing a non-thesis course of study must also pass a written examination prior to graduation.
THESIS OPTION (36 SEMESTER HOURS)
Thesis students, in addition to completing 18 hours of required classes, must complete 12 hours of electives as approved by an adviser. Instead of a final examination, thesis students must apply for permission to complete a thesis worth 6 credit hours. Prior to graduation, students will present an oral defense of their thesis, which will be evaluated on the basis of the student's argument and research.