College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Master of Science in Nursing Administration
- Physician Assistant
- Doctor of Health Sciences
- English Graduate Programs
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Occupational Therapy Doctorate
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- MS in Data And Information Management
- Counselor Education
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration
- M.S. in Strategic Communication
- Teacher Education & Leadership
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Health Sciences Dual Degree Track (MS to DHSC)
- MFA in Studio Art
- Master's of Occupational Therapy
- Master's Degrees in Music
- Master of Social Work
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- MFA in Design Thinking
The Nursing Administration program at Radford University Carilion is designed to build critical skills and knowledge necessary to be a successful leader and manager within healthcare organizations and systems. Successful graduates are well-prepared for healthcare management and executive roles. Delivered part-time over the course of six semesters or full-time over the course of four semesters, the program provides the flexibility needed for working nurses to pursue an advanced nursing degree while maintaining their regular employment.
Why choose Radford University Carilion?
Small Class Size
Progress through the Nursing Administration program with a small cohort of classmates and mentoring from dedicated faculty and staff. Our program is designed to treat each student as a professional and individual, recognizing his or her circumstances to provide the support necessary for success.
We provide our students with opportunities to interact and learn beside a broad range of healthcare providers, so they’re prepared to collaborate across specialties from the start of their careers.
To help prepare you to move to the next level of nursing administration in your career, we seek to provide opportunities to allow you to continue to learn about medical and scientific advances as well as best-practices in management, business and leadership.
As part of the Nursing Administration program at Radford University Carilion, you will build critical skills and knowledge necessary to be a successful leader within diverse healthcare organizations and systems. The program allows you build upon what you already know in order to take your career to the next level.
You may earn your degree on a part-time or full-time basis depending on your needs. The program requires approximately 40 credit hours in courses ranging from “Organizational Behavior and Theory”, “Ethical and Legal Issues in Practice” and “Financial Management in Healthcare.” This program will equip you with the knowledge base and acumen to contribute at the highest levels of administration in any healthcare setting.
After receiving your Master’s degree, you may return to your current employer or you may seek employment in one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy. Radford University Carilion students find success across a wide range of practice and administrative areas, including:
- Hospitals (inpatient and outpatient)
- Physician offices
- Long-term care facilities
- Home healthcare services
- Employment services
- Rehabilitation centers
- Government agencies
- Outpatient care centers
- Social assistance agencies
- Educational institutions
- Research institutions
- Public health
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the 2012 median annual salary for medical and health service managers such as nurse administrators was $88,580 compared to $65,470 for registered nurses in general. More recently in 2016, the BLS projected a 10-year growth rate of over 36% for nurse practitioners and Nurse.org projects that as nursing jobs increase due to the overall aging of the U.S. population, the need for nurse administrators will grow as well.
Applicants for the Nursing Administration program must have a current unrestricted RN license from any state within the U.S. Academic transcripts, a written statement and professional references are also required. A complete list of application requirements is available in the College’s Academic Catalog.
The baccalaureate degree programs in nursing and master's degree programs in nursing at Radford University Carilion are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, (202)887-6791.