What is the application deadline?

  • The deadline for all applications for the Advanced Standing program is March 1. 
  • The suggested deadline for all applications for the Standard Program is June 1, for fullest consideration. 
  • All full-time applicants wishing to apply for a graduate assistantship position are strongly encouraged to apply early February.  
  • We will begin reviewing applications at the end of January.

Will you review my application if most, but not all, of my materials are in?

No. We review only applications that are complete.

How will I know if my application is complete?

Each applicant assembles her/his own application file, including all required forms, transcripts, letters of reference, personal essay, and resume. The applicant submits the application materials to the Graduate College.  Because you put the materials together yourself, you will know if all the materials are in.

It is a good idea to give your references adequate time to write letters– usually 2 to 3 weeks so that you will receive the letters and be able to include them with your application materials. Be sure that your references know that letters of recommendation are returned to you, and not to the University.

It often takes colleges and universities considerable time to process transcript requests. Make sure to request transcripts well in advance of the deadline.

If I'm missing something from my application, can I just fax it to your office?

No, all admissions material should be submitted electronically to the Graduate College (gradcollege@radford.edu).

What are the minimum requirements to apply?

  • An undergraduate degree with a 2.75 overall GPA. (A=4.0)
  • A liberal arts background, with course content in social sciences, life sciences and humanities. Please note: Radford University's MSW program of study requires that you have successfully completed a three credit biology course prior to the first semester of enrollment.
  • Experience in the field of human services, as an employee, student and/or volunteer is strongly recommended.

What are my options for completing the MSW degree at Radford University?

There are several ways to complete the MSW degree at Radford University, including full or part-time study (part-time study available in Roanoke). Radford campus offers an Advanced Standing option, (full- and part-time) and when available, the Roanoke campus offers a part-time option. The total number of semesters that are required for completion of the degree (according to the various options) are listed in the table below. Total credit hours for the degree are also listed.

 Standard Program (61 hours)Advanced Standing (40 hours)
Full Time5 semesters4 semesters
Part Time11 semesters6 semesters

What is Advanced Standing? Am I eligible?

Advanced Standing is available only to students whose undergraduate degree in social work or social welfare was from an undergraduate program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education at the time the degree was awarded, and received in the within 7 years of application. If your undergraduate degree was in a field other than social work you are not eligible for Advanced Standing.

Eligible applicants may apply to the Advanced Standing program and, if not accepted, will automatically be considered for the Standard Program.

Students who are accepted into the Advanced Standing program will be required to register for the Bridge Courses (summer for Radford campus). Classes will be offered on Saturdays (June and July in Radford) with additional work done online. Students who plan on attending the Advanced Standing program should be aware that these courses are mandatory and attendance will be required on Saturdays.

Are there any prerequisites?

Yes, for both the Standard Program and Advanced Standing you must complete coursework in social sciences (15 hours) and humanities (9 hours) before you enroll. In addition, you must show evidence of acquiring content in general or human biology (3 hours) in your undergraduate education. These courses are typically required for the liberal arts undergraduate degree or the social work degree.

Do I need to submit transcripts?

Yes, you need to submit official, sealed transcript to the Graduate College. Transcripts must be submitted from all prior and/or current colleges and universities which you attended. You should request that transcripts be sent to Radford University. You then include them in your application packet to the Graduate College. These must be official transcripts, marked with the seal of the institution.

Is there an application fee?

There is a non-refundable application fee collected by the Graduate College. There is no separate fee collected by the School of Social Work. Please read the Graduate College’s Application for Graduate Admission instructions carefully and then submit the fee with that portion of the application.

Where do I send my application?

The application for the graduate program is submitted online.

  • Application form and application fee
  • Transcripts
  • Three (3) letters of recommendation
  • Curriculum Option/Degree Path form
  • Four question personal essay
  • Experience in Human Services form
  • One copy of your resume
  • Legal/Military History form

All transcripts should still be sent to:

The Graduate College
P. O. Box 6928
Radford University
Radford, VA 24142

Is there any financial aid available?

Financial aid in the forms of research, teaching and support assistantships are offered, as well as financial assistance through student loans. Assistantships are provided through the School of Social Work for full-time students whereas student loans are administered through the Financial Aid Office. Students are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid office at 540-831-5408 while applying for graduate admission. There is also a scholarship opportunity, the McConnell Scholars Award, when available.

How does the School arrive at a decision to admit or not admit an applicant?

Each application is read independently by at least two different faculty members and assigned a score. Then the Graduate Admissions Coordinator reviews the applications and makes admission recommendations to the Graduate Studies Coordinator. This Coordinator makes recommendations to the Director of the School of Social Work. 

  • Academic potential based on undergraduate GPA
  • Academic preparation of the applicant, as demonstrated in prior or concurrent courses and areas of study
  • Effectiveness of the applicant’s written work, as demonstrated in the personal essay
  • Applicant’s commitment to the field of social work, as demonstrated through prior work in human services and the personal essay
  • Potential for the applicant to contribute to the profession of social work, as demonstrated in the personal essay and letters of recommendation.
  • Applicant’s ability to bring diversity to the school. This includes many factors the applicant brings which will broaden his or her experience and perspective on the human condition, as demonstrated in the personal essay and other materials submitted.
  • Suitability for the profession, including, but not limited to: ability to interact effectively with others, empathy, demonstration of appropriate boundaries and judgment and the ability to interact appropriately with diverse populations.

Where do I pay the seat deposit?

You will need to pay the seat deposit, which goes toward your tuition, upon receiving notification that you have been admitted to the MSW program. This is paid directly to the Graduate College.  Instructions will be included in the admissions letter. If you have any questions or concerns contact Dr. Phil Mongan (pmongan@radford.edu)

Who should write my letters of recommendation?

We require three letters of recommendation. We strongly encourage applicants to request one letter from a professional practicing in the field of human service, preferably a supervisor, and one letter from an academic reference, preferably a professor, and one from an additional source of your own choosing. It is recommended that applicants to the Advanced Standing program, who have completed their senior year field, ask their field instructor to serve as one of the three required references.

What if I have more questions?