College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- English Graduate Programs
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy
- M.S. in Strategic Communication
- Counselor Education
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- MFA in Design Thinking
- Health Sciences Dual Degree Track (MS to DHSC)
- Master's Degrees in Music
- MFA in Studio Art
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Teacher Education & Leadership
- Master of Social Work
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Science in Nursing Administration
- Physician Assistant
- Doctor of Health Sciences
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- MS in Data And Information Management
- M.S. in Athletic Training
The faculty and staff of the School of Social Work at Radford University believe that the highest quality of social work education builds on the values and ethics of the profession. We fully integrate cultural competence into our strengths-based approach and strive to promote social justice at all system levels. We utilize the ecological systems perspective to guide our understanding of individuals in the socially constructed environment. Our students graduate with strong advocacy skills, use evidence-based models, and have the ability to evaluate their own practice.
The School of Social Work prepares social work professionals who are capable of adapting their practice to the environments in which they work. The program context comprises a dynamic mix of small cities and rural settings. We build and maintain partnerships with the surrounding communities that are dually focused on education and service. The signature pedagogy of our School is the integration of coursework in the field placement.
The MSW program prepares professionals capable of autonomous practice with a specialty in community-based family practice. Our students develop the ability to practice clinically with diverse, self-defined families and to partner with them to make skillful contributions to the family-community continuum.
The Master of Social Work program seeks to provide the highest quality professional education for all persons who are admitted into the program. The program seeks to develop within each of its students the rich intellectual and ethical capacities necessary for skillful and compassionate social work practice. The program’s focus is community-based family practice, allowing students to acquire a blend of direct family practice skills coupled with an understanding and appreciation of human diversity. Because we are located in rural Appalachia, we offer coursework and internships focused on rural practice. However, for the student who wants practice experience that will lead to work in a city environment, we offer a selection of field placements in Roanoke–a midsize city about 45 miles from Radford.
The program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and is reviewed and monitored by a Professional Advisory Council of 50-plus professional social workers. The School of Social Work is one of four academic schools in the Waldron College of Health and Human Services.
Our Master of Social Work program provides two curriculum options: “Standard” and “Advanced Standing." Applicants are only eligible to apply for the Advanced Standing option if they have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited social work program and make application within 7 seven years and have attained a minimum GPA of 2.75 for all undergraduate coursework, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all undergraduate social work coursework.
Students who apply for the Advanced Standing Program but will be completing their Bachelor of Social Work degree during the spring or summer and will be accepted conditionally as an Advanced Standing student only on receipt of that degree.